PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good bandsaw deal?

Jeff Sudmeier
02-15-2010, 6:43 AM
Grizzly 14" bandsaw, seller paid $450 for it, wants $225. I'm not sure of the age, I called and left a message. It comes with one 3/8" blade.

Ad says absolutely nothing wrong, just wants to upgrade.

Is it worth $225?

Ken Higginbotham
02-15-2010, 6:45 AM
I'd say it a pretty good deal. I paid 500 for a saw in this class...

Myk Rian
02-15-2010, 7:09 AM
Jump on it. I would, even though I have a 14" saw.
The 3/8" blade is stock. Replace it. That might be why it's for sale.

cody michael
02-15-2010, 7:18 AM
i bought a similair jet for 250

Curt Harms
02-15-2010, 7:19 AM
Jump on it. I would, even though I have a 14" saw.
The 3/8" blade is stock. Replace it. That might be why it's for sale.

:p ..This thing used to cut so good....

It doesn't look like this saw has a riser block. You might want to make sure the riser block kits are still available if you think you might want one.

Jason White
02-15-2010, 7:53 AM
You'll probably spend another $400 in upgrades (tires, guides, etc.).

I'd talk him down a bit more.

Jason

Grizzly 14" bandsaw, seller paid $450 for it, wants $225. I'm not sure of the age, I called and left a message. It comes with one 3/8" blade.

Ad says absolutely nothing wrong, just wants to upgrade.

Is it worth $225?

Van Huskey
02-15-2010, 2:07 PM
You'll probably spend another $400 in upgrades (tires, guides, etc.).

I'd talk him down a bit more.

Jason

I agree and might gio farther and say no deal. I am a fan of older QUALITY iron but remember Grizzly is going the opposite way compared to most other makes, they have gotten better over the last 10 years.

I also wonder about the riser block comments, I doubt the saw has enough horsepower to resaw 6" well much less 12, plus you just add more deflection into a saw that can't properly tension a 3/4" blade as it is.

Pete Bradley
02-15-2010, 5:57 PM
"It depends" - really.

If all the parts are there, you can test it, nothing needs replacing, and it cuts well, it might be worth $200. If the guides, tires, bearings are shot, maybe a good bit less. For a full resto candidate, probably $100 or less.

If you buy it, don't get sucked into the notion of immediate "upgrades". Fix what needs fixing, use the machine, and get some experience. You'll then have a good feel for whether any of the "upgrades" touted on forums like this are really worth buying. More likely you'll gain valuable experience and, turn it for what you have into it and get a real upgrade - to a bigger machine.

Pete