PDA

View Full Version : A rookie question, embarrassed to ask

doug king
02-15-2010, 12:57 AM
Okay so I have been working and learning for a few months now... Where are a few places where I can purchase plastic name plates or plastic shapes to engrave on. I am looking for plastic for signage.

Doug

Mike Null
02-15-2010, 6:06 AM
You have a very good company in Oklahoma called Bur-Lane. You can also find plastics at Johnson Plastics and JDS Industries.

Jerry Hewett
02-15-2010, 6:07 AM
http://www.johnsonplastics.biz/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?PROCFUN+WORDPR01+WEBFUNC+M37

Jason Roehl
02-15-2010, 8:21 AM
Just for the record, on SMC there are no rookie questions that you should be embarrassed to ask. These forums are for people of ALL skill levels, and since very few learn any task in a consistent, linear manner, even those who are more skilled and experienced learn new techniques or sources from someone with far less skill or experience from time to time.

Martin Boekers
02-15-2010, 1:29 PM
Doug,

Here are a couple links to check out. They will will help to provide some basic info on suppliers.

Now is the time to start your "bookmark system" to make it easier on researching products in the future.

www.engraversjournal.com/links.php
www.epiloglaser.com/industry_links.htm
www.ulsinc.com/english/laser_materials/laser_suppliers.html

They are many vendors out their and many manufacture their own
product line. So it's good to have bookmarks, notes and a journal.

One thing that I found immensely helpful was to start at the 1st post in this forum and work your way up to the present.

I have done this as many others, this is a great forum, if you use it!

Good luck with your business!

Marty

doug king
02-15-2010, 3:37 PM
I think my problem is that I am so new to some of this that even with the links I dont know which material to purchase...

That make sense?

Scott Shepherd
02-15-2010, 3:43 PM
Doug, I'm guessing most laser owners aren't buying premade shapes and sizes. I would suspect, if they are like me, that they buy material by the sheet and let the laser cut any shapes needed. Rowmark makes an entire series of plastics made for laser engraving. You can buy the sample book that only includes their laserable materials for about $50 or so. Johnson Plastics is a source for that. Or Rowmark themselves might sell them. IPI (innovative plastics) also makes laserable plastics, also sold by Johnson, JDS, etc. Pick up the sample book, then you'll have an idea of what is available. Everything in the Rowmark book for lasers will be products you can use. It'll give you the part numbers, samples, etc. so you can see what they look like and how to order them.

Paul Brinkmeyer
02-15-2010, 8:41 PM
Doug

If you can, go the ARA show in acouple of weeks.

I went to this as soon as I could when I bought my laser and found more than what I could absorb, but worth the effort in many ways.

I still have the program from the show and use it to look up vendors at times.

doug king
02-15-2010, 9:10 PM
Doug, I'm guessing most laser owners aren't buying premade shapes and sizes. I would suspect, if they are like me, that they buy material by the sheet and let the laser cut any shapes needed. Rowmark makes an entire series of plastics made for laser engraving. You can buy the sample book that only includes their laserable materials for about $50 or so. Johnson Plastics is a source for that. Or Rowmark themselves might sell them. IPI (innovative plastics) also makes laserable plastics, also sold by Johnson, JDS, etc. Pick up the sample book, then you'll have an idea of what is available. Everything in the Rowmark book for lasers will be products you can use. It'll give you the part numbers, samples, etc. so you can see what they look like and how to order them.

Perfect information, that is exactly what I was looking for... I have done TONS of wood, acrylic and anodized aluminum. I just ordered my first Cermark solution and it should be here this week. Along with the cermark I wanted to try some signage for some product ideas I have but just didnt know where to start. I think I now at least have an idea,

Rowmark seems to be the product, you buy it in a sheet and cut it to whatever size you want instead of buying precut pieces... That's great information I just didn't know.. Typically when I take on something like this I will learn all I can, research, research, research then apply... That is what I am doing now, getting all the information together....

Thanks to you all, your information and experience is appreciated, your openness and patience is needed from someone like myself..

Doug