PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a new circular saw and worm drive.

Glen Butler
02-14-2010, 10:53 PM
My worm drives are beat to death. I need something accurate and well built for stain grade finish work. I need a right tilting saw and a left tilting saw. I have been drooling over the Makita 5377MG. The plate is straight, flat, and stiff. So many skilsaws have twisted and bowed plates. I was also considering the Bosch 1677MD. I had one in the past but it is now a hybrid bosch/skil. They have interchangable parts so I took two broken saws to make one good one. (sorry irrelevant side note). I can't find a bosch without a twisted plate.

I am wondering if there is a brand out there that has both a right tilting saw and left tilting saw in the worm drive style cause I don't like regular. But if a regular drive and a worm drive is the only way to do it, so be it.

Rick Potter
02-15-2010, 12:54 PM
I asked three framer buddies of mine your question, and they all use Bosch 1677's. This is a father and two sons, so I guess they would all use the same ones. Dad reports that they used to use Skill 77's but the Bosch holds up longer these days. Same parent company.

Rick Potter