PDA

View Full Version : Help with new kitchen table

Randy Moore
10-27-2004, 8:50 AM
My son and DIL bought an unfinished kitchen table and chairs. They want me to stain and put the finish want on it. They want a very hard finish on it, I don't have a sprayer so thats out.
It is made out of "Parawood" . The man at the store where they bought it said that it is a hard wood and comes from a rubber tree. Oak, cherry maple ash birch, I have heard of but not parawood. :confused:
My question is what would you put on this to stand up to the abuse that a kitchen table. I went into the local Woodcraft store and the man in there said to use a polyurethyene, don't know about spelling. I trust him but I want more than just one opinion.
Thanks in advance for all opinions.
HEY Terry Hatfield, Tyler and the rest of the PIC PATROL, Do I have to post pics for the patrol on something I did not build? I will but it might take some time

Steve Clardy
10-27-2004, 11:21 AM
Hi Randy. Most any Poly will work. Probably 3 coats on a table. Thin the last coat a little so it will flow out better. Brush lightly so the bubbles won't come up.
Pics? Yep. We want pics.
Steve

Ted Shrader
10-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Randy -

Polyurethane would be a good choice. Thin it to almost half with naptha (faster evaporating) or paint thinner (less volatile) and rub it on with a soft cloth. You won't have to worry with brush strokes. If you decide to brush, use a GOOD quality china bristle brush.

If they want a less glossy finish, put on a few coats of gloss for build up, then the last one or two, use semi-gloss. If you use multiple coats of all semi-gloss, it will obscure the pattern in the wood somewhat.

Regards,
Ted