PDA

View Full Version : Any cabinet pro painters out there??

Nicholas Bukky
02-14-2010, 8:44 PM
I am looking for advice on spraying things and how to hold them etc. for the best results.
I have a small cabinet shop with a spray booth and when I spray cab doors or any two sided project I typicaly lay it down and shoot it but the back always gets a misting on it and feels a little gritty.

So how or what do you setup on to keep the spray from bouncing to the underside?? I also use boards with screws or nails to elevate the work a bit.

Any insight??

Thanks for your help,
Nick

Casey Gooding
02-14-2010, 9:13 PM
Does your spray booth have a good exhaust fan?? That would probably help a lot.

Tony Bilello
02-14-2010, 9:50 PM
I used to have the same problem until I went HVLP. That seemed to cure it.
Generally, I sit a 1 gal paint can on a lazy susan. I lay a clean piece of butcher paper on it. I lay the back of the door on it. I always spray the back side first, that way, when I flip it over, if any problems, it's on the backside and easily fixed.

Phil Phelps
02-15-2010, 3:43 PM
A HVLP helps quite a bit. I have used chicken wire screens for ever. I have about 20. I make a blind stop frame that is the width of chicken wire, I think that's 42", and 48" on the length, and two cross pieces. Use fence staples to secure the chicken wire to the frame. Here is a hint. Attach one end of the chicken wire with the staples and on the opposite end, angle the fence staples so that it pulls the chicken wire tight. From 1/4" stock, cut 2"x6" strips and shoot four, 1 1/4" brads, in each corner. Set the frame on saw horses. Set two of the brad blocks on the chicken wire screen and the door on the blocks. Spray the back of the door first and turn it over. Don't edge the door until you turn it over on the brad blocks. You'll have no bounce back from spraying.

Nicholas Bukky
02-15-2010, 5:53 PM
Thanks Guys for your insight.

Casey yes I have a spray booth with a 24in fan that moves ALOT of air.

Tony I will try that I bought a couple Lazy Susans for that but have yet to try them.

Phil could you post a picture of one of your chicken screens? I think it will help with other things I do as well.

Thanks,
Nick

Steve Jenkins
02-15-2010, 6:17 PM
I like Phil's method. I just use 2x4s on sawhorses and put the doors or whatever on 1/2 or 3/4" blocks to elevate off the 2x4s a bit. Spray the backs first then the fronts and edges. When I do the edges I angle the gun down slightly.I use long 2x4s so I can set up a bunch of pieces about 6" apart.

Phil Phelps
02-15-2010, 7:48 PM
This is all I have on me. it's two screens side by side. I cut out letters and the screen is the best thing to use .

Nicholas Bukky
02-15-2010, 9:19 PM
Thanks Phil,
That is kinda what I thought you ment.
Do you have to clean the screen offten or do you replace it every once in a while??
I am going to make one of these soon thanks again for the tip!

Nick

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Nick,
The bit of roughness you get on the back side is just a little overspray. Rub it out after the finish is good and hard and it will get it as smooth as you need.
fmr

Glen Butler
02-16-2010, 2:04 AM
Could your grit be cause by the lack of proper tacking prior to spraying the final coat or lack of proper sanding after the seal coat? I sand, blow or wipe the majority of the dust, wipe with a tack cloth and spray. I spray at a 45 degree angle to the current of air flow so I am not blocking air or causing it to curl as it passes my body. No overspray problems here.

Phil Phelps
02-16-2010, 6:34 AM
Thanks Phil,
That is kinda what I thought you ment.
Do you have to clean the screen offten or do you replace it every once in a while??
I am going to make one of these soon thanks again for the tip!

Nick

I have had my screens an eighth inch thick of paint before I toss them. It takes years for that kind of build up. Before I had a pocket hole cutter, I made them using 3/8" corrugated fasteners. It's quick and easy.

Jamie Schmitz
02-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Lazy susan is a great idea for big pieces. Another thing to do is keep your piece as close to the table as possible so the paint does not have room to bounce back up. You could put a piece of old carpet under it so it sucks up the over spray also. If you do a lot of doors try this.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=142309&stc=1&d=1266377478

Erik Amsterdam
02-18-2010, 2:50 PM
What about the dust?

Nicholas Bukky
02-18-2010, 4:43 PM
Thanks Jamie,
I have a similar rack system that I use. It doesn't look as good as your sketchup but works after I spray.
Does the carpet get messy??

Glen I always have a tackcloth close by and always sand between coats:)

Faust some time s I do just that buy alot of the things I do are high gloss and they look ok but if I try to scuff it off it is noticable.

Phil's method looks like one I will try and see how it works for me.

Any one else have some input on this???

Thanks for your intrest and help!

Nick

Nicholas Bukky
03-09-2010, 5:05 PM
Hey Guys just wanted to thank you all again for you suggestions and help.

I ended up making a chicken wire table like Phil and it works GREAT!!!:)

Thank you Phil for the tip!

Best,
Nick

Phil Phelps
03-09-2010, 7:12 PM
Thanks to my dad for introducing me to that, and you're welcome. Gald to see something work, for a change.