PDA

View Full Version : How would you do this?

Nathan Roelofs
03-30-2003, 11:41 PM
I need to set up for a production run of chairs. The design is very simple, but there is one part of the milling process that has me a bit stumped. Perhaps one or more of you could help...

Basically, the chair is comprised of a frame with a back panel and a seat panel applied to the frame structure. The challenge is as follows--

The underside of the seat panel is flat, with the exception of a 3/16" high X 1/2" wide "hook" along the front edge of the seat. The seat measures about 18" X 18". Therefore, I need to remove 3/16" of thickness over almost the entire underside of the seat. Because the seat will rest on the frame, the area where the material is removed needs to be flat. I've constructed one sample using a router table and a 7/8" straight bit. I mill away all of the material and leave a hook on the front and the back (to have a consistent reference against the table. Once it was milled, I just trimmed the back edge to the final size (and leaving the single hook on the front. This worked OK in terms of results, but left me nervous/scared and wondering if there was a better way.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Chris Knight
03-31-2003, 1:27 AM
Glue on a strip for the hook?

Chris

Rob Russell
03-31-2003, 7:34 AM
Maybe I'm missing the point, but if the seat bottom sits down over the frame, don't you just need to mill out the front, sides and back so the seat sits on the frame properly? Why even worry about hogging out the middle of the seat? Besides, if the wood's thicker it should make the middle of the seat stiffer.