PDA

View Full Version : Stop with the snow

Dave Lehnert
02-14-2010, 7:07 PM
Forecast for Cincinnati tonight and Monday 6" to 9" :D

Jim Becker
02-14-2010, 7:17 PM
Yea, we have more forecast for Monday night into Tuesday, too. I'm not pleased for a number of reasons, including the need to drive to some customer meetings.

Leo Graywacz
02-14-2010, 7:21 PM
Feels nice to be out of the snow belt for a year.

Jim Becker
02-14-2010, 7:30 PM

You can have your Jet Stream back tomorrow, Leo. Please?? :o

Leo Graywacz
02-14-2010, 8:03 PM
But I don't want it. You keep it until spring comes and we'll talk about what happens next year, next year. OK?

If not. Tough cookies. :D

Enjoy the shoveling.

I have shoveled acre-feet of snow in my lifetime. A one year sabbatical isn't much to ask, right? :rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-14-2010, 8:06 PM
Sadly we are having a low snow level year....we'll pay the penalty when the forest fire season gets here.

Leo Graywacz
02-14-2010, 8:07 PM
The first warm day in CT will likely have a fire warning come with it. They are pretty liberal with giving out the warnings these past years.

Stephen Tashiro
02-15-2010, 12:51 AM
Is it an El Nino year?

George Sanders
02-15-2010, 9:17 AM
Last fall prevented me from cutting firewood due to the incessant rain. I have only enough for about 3 days. Now the drifts are too high to get to my boss's hedgerow and I have to wait till spring to get any shop time in the garage. :mad: I feel like the gnome in the commercial : "I've got to get OUT of here!"

Craig D Peltier
02-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Last fall prevented me from cutting firewood due to the incessant rain. I have only enough for about 3 days. Now the drifts are too high to get to my boss's hedgerow and I have to wait till spring to get any shop time in the garage. :mad: I feel like the gnome in the commercial : "I've got to get OUT of here!"

And where might this be? Theres no location listed near your post count.

Montgomery Scott
02-15-2010, 12:13 PM
We've had zero snow this year and one of the warmest Januarys in our recorded history. Looks like hiking season will start early this year. It's a nice change from last year.

Mike Cruz
02-15-2010, 7:23 PM
According to what a ski resort "guru" told me, we are in the beginning of a three year cold spell. Apparently, we go three years warm, three years cold around here. The resorts don't really give a flying hoot if it snows, just as long as it is cold enough to MAKE snow. All this natural stuff certainly helps, though.

Personally, even though I'm a skier, I'm sick of this c***.

George Sanders
02-16-2010, 7:28 AM
I'm located in east central Illinois.

Leo Graywacz
02-16-2010, 8:32 AM
It's back....

Snowing as I type.

Matt Meiser
02-16-2010, 9:00 AM
We are only supposed to get 1-2" looking at the forecast issued for SE Michigan or 2-5 for the one issued for the Toledo area 8 miles away. That would possibly make it our second biggest snow of the year. It keeps going to the south, hence Dave's complaint. Sometimes its fine in Toledo and downright bad 30 miles south in Findlay.

Joe Cunningham
02-16-2010, 9:42 AM
Completely agree, though we did get more this time than the previous, over-hyped 'monster storm'.

Mark Beall
02-16-2010, 8:43 PM
While I do sympathize with those of you getting dumped on with snow that aren't used to it.... We finally got some snow today!!! Only 4-5 inches (which probably raises our total by about 25% this winter), but at least things are white instead of brown now (not that it needed it, but I could have mowed my lawn this weekend - that's just wrong for this time of year).

Please send the snow back north, some of us miss it :)

mark

Montgomery Scott
02-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Your guru has a grain of truth to his statement, but not much more. The El Nino/La Nina cycle is due to warm/cool ocean temperature cycle that repeats every 3-4 years. The effects of which are not uniform across the continent.

http://www.elnino.noaa.gov/lanina_new_faq.html

Brian Elfert
02-16-2010, 11:06 PM
I live in Minneapolis and we really don't get that much snow compared to other places. (At least not in recent years.) We do get a lot of cold though.

I actually like to get large amounts of snow like a foot at a time. What I hate is getting one to two inches of snow two or three days in a row. We have pretty good snow removal, but even an inch or two can turn a 20 to 30 minute commute into an hour or more. Those types of commutes suck when it happens day after day.

It snowed like 3" Sunday night, but the holiday meant my commute was faster than a normal day even with the snow. It would have been a nightmare with the snow.