PDA

View Full Version : #12 Claro Walnut and Curly Maple - a blend of classic and contemporary

John Keeton
02-14-2010, 6:54 PM
This lidded bowl is 9.5" wide, by 5" tall to the tip of the knob/finial. The walnut has BLO and shellac, and the topcoat on the maple and walnut is Deft satin brush on lacquer. I intend to rub it out and apply a couple more coats. The walnut sucked up the finish!
This piece is very different than my normal tastes. For flatwork I tend toward a blend of Shaker and 18th Century style, with fairly traditional or classic lines. A leap toward contemporary is a bold move for me. The blend of the ogee form, and the contemporary finial is different - and may not appeal to many. But, I kind of like the look!

The curly maple is from a piece of 3/4" board stock I had. Everything went really well with this piece except for the knob/finial area. The walnut base of the knob was originally larger and was the tenon on the maple. Getting a clean cut against the maple was tricky for me, and I ended up with a small amount of chatter just in very close under the rim of the walnut. I couldn't do much with it because I couldn't lower the surface of the maple any more in that area. It isn't really noticeable unless one looks for it. But, I know it is there!!:o I guess I just add that to my list of things learned!!

This is turned from a piece of the Claro walnut I bought from Mike Smith, Century Tree Turnings, in N. Car. It ended up having beautiful grain, but getting a smooth surface wasn't easy. The pics above don't really show off the grain, so here are a couple of better pics.
And, this one is a "surprise" for Doug Swanson!!
I can't wait to see what you make next (and next time, just surprise us without asking for input!)

Doug
No input on this one. It is what it is, though I would appreciate any comments and suggestions that may help on the next one!!

Thanks for taking the time to look!

charlie knighton
02-14-2010, 7:00 PM
very nice, John

David Christopher
02-14-2010, 7:01 PM
John, that is beautiful, and your favorite woods,,,it sure looks like you are having fun doing something you didnt want nothing to do with a few months ago...LOL

Baxter Smith
02-14-2010, 7:09 PM
Very nice (and different) and I like the finish. After seeing your previous picece I picked up a quart of the Deft satin lacquer yesterday along with another quart of antique oil. I think I will try that on my last plum vase that just has the shellac. I wasn't real happy with the spray gloss lacquer but that may have been my application. Glad you opened the lid to show off the walnut!

Mark Hazelden
02-14-2010, 7:12 PM
John, I really like the lines of this piece and the grain of the walnut is wonderful! Nicely done.
I assume that is an insert for your signature? Maple perhaps?
I can't figure out what finish "BLO" is. Help?

Mark

Chris Stolicky
02-14-2010, 7:20 PM
Will you stop already!!!

No, really, good job. It looks like you are a real natural turner. Too bad you took so long to start! ;)

Matt Ranum
02-14-2010, 7:29 PM
Will you stop already!!!

:D I'm beginning to think the wife kicked him outa the house and he lives in the shop.:D

Curt Fuller
02-14-2010, 7:30 PM
John, first let me say that I think this is an exceptionally nice lidded bowl. There's nothing about it that I don't like.

As for design, or style, it has always been my opinion that crossing the lines of style, breaking out of the traditional look, is what differenciates the craftsman from the artist. The more you break the rules, the more freedom you have to create something unique. So I like what you've done.

The knob/finial technique you've used has always given me trouble. The only time I try to turn the lid and knob as one piece is if it is one piece. Whenever there's a glue line something in the Murphy's Law of turning seems to always make it difficult to keep the line crisp. For that reason I always drill a hole and insert the knob if I'm using a different wood. It just seems to work better that way, at least for me.

Again, that's a beautiful lidded bowl.

One other thing, Ill be interested to see if the nice fit between the lid and bowl holds out. With two pieces of face grain wood, one or both almost always moves with time creating a bind and gap fit.

Doug W Swanson
02-14-2010, 7:36 PM
And, this one is a "surprise" for Doug Swanson!!
No input on this one. It is what it is, though I would appreciate any comments and suggestions that may help on the next one!!

John,

Thanks for the 'surprise'.

I think you did a great job again. The form may be fairly simple but sometimes simple is better. I really like the woods you chose and the colors of the walnut.

Very nice job!

Doug

Pete Jordan
02-14-2010, 8:02 PM
Wow John!

You are moving at warp speed! I have never seen anyone so hooked and I fell hook, line and sinker.

Excellent job!

Prashun Patel
02-14-2010, 8:12 PM
Really wonderful, JK. I've been following yr posts and progress. I continue to be impressed!

Toney Robertson
02-14-2010, 8:16 PM
I like it.

I will also be interested to see if the lid continues to fit that well as time goes by.

With the lidded bowls that I have made the lids never fit perfectly after a while and that is when I used the same species for both the lid and bowl.

You took a risk using two different species and an inset lid. While VERY attractive, the inset lid gives you no way to hide even a slight warp.

Toney

Bernie Weishapl
02-14-2010, 8:46 PM
John that is beautiful. Really nice form and the finish looks great. I like the finial/knob.

Thom Sturgill
02-14-2010, 9:05 PM
Lovely piece and the 'contemporary' finial fits well. Keep up the great work, John.

Mark, BLO stands for Boiled Linseed Oil'.

Steve Schlumpf
02-14-2010, 9:11 PM
John - very nice work! I really like the mix of styles and the creation of a piece with a contemporary feel to it! Beautiful wood combination! I like the design of the knob. The style and color of it gives the piece an oriental feel as well as adding to the contemporary look.

Very nice work! I appreciate the imagination that a piece like this takes!

Looking forward to seeing what's next!

Bill Bolen
02-14-2010, 9:14 PM
Outstanding piece John. Love your color combo and that knob sure adds a flair to the piece...Bill...

Robert McGowen
02-14-2010, 9:21 PM
Your leap into the contemporary style appears to have had a rather nice landing!

Is lucky 13 already on the lathe? I'm still waiting for you to combine your precision flatwork with the lathe and segment something!

John Keeton
02-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Your comments and input are appreciated. It is really good to have encouragement along the way.

After seeing your previous piece I picked up a quart of the Deft satin lacquer yesterday along with another quart of antique oil. I think I will try that on my last plum vase that just has the shellac.
Baxter, I think you will like the lacquer. On this piece, I thinned the lacquer about 35-40%, though the thinner evaporates quickly. I tried wiping it on, but switched to the brush as I wasn't pleased with how it was applying. Drys very quickly, and allows one to apply several coats in one day.

I assume that is an insert for your signature? Maple perhaps? MarkMark, the medallion is maple, and it is 1.5" wide, and laser engraved. It holds a penny, but I haven't yet found any 2010 pennies - not sure they are out?!?

The knob/finial technique you've used has always given me trouble. The only time I try to turn the lid and knob as one piece is if it is one piece. Whenever there's a glue line something in the Murphy's Law of turning seems to always make it difficult to keep the line crisp. For that reason I always drill a hole and insert the knob if I'm using a different wood.

One other thing, Ill be interested to see if the nice fit between the lid and bowl holds out. With two pieces of face grain wood, one or both almost always moves with time creating a bind and gap fit.

I will also be interested to see if the lid continues to fit that well as time goes by.
Curt, I had already concluded that I will not attempt this type of knob application again. I should have appled a separate piece and I would have been able to achieve a better appearance.

On the lid fit, it is a close fit at the moment, and it is winter. It will be interesting if it does OK during the summer and higher humidity. I think it best to set the lid in with the grain direction aligned with that of the bowl.

Warpage could be a factor as well. Time will tell.

Right now, vacuum is the biggest problem. If I try to lift the lid quickly, it will lift the bowl up with it! Maybe the secret is a knob/finial with a vent hole!:D

If the lid begins to stick, I might be able to relieve the lid recess in the bowl if I can get it chucked up somehow.

Thanks, again everyone!

Robert, it will be awhile before I attempt the segmenting! And, I think I am going to work on some Christmas presents next - stoppers and pot pourri bowls. But, the vortex is strong, and one never knows what urge may arise next.;)

gary Zimmel
02-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Beautiful job John!
This one I really like. For me everything just fits together.
And it doesn't get any better working with walnut and maple....
Another winner from the "Keeton Kitchen"

Baxter Smith
02-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks John, I will give that combination a try. Was not very satisfied with some spray gloss lacquer I had tried although it may have just been my technique.

Gary Chester
02-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Now John...

You know this would have "turned" out much better if you would have let us help you :mad:........ NOT!!! :D:D:D

Again, a great piece, very nice wood and unique design.

Like Curt, I'm curious to see if you have warping issues over time in reference to moisture content of the purchased wood...

Patiently waiting for the next one...

Jon Lanier
02-14-2010, 11:06 PM
I don't care who you are. That there is pretty! :D

David E Keller
02-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Very pretty piece. That's a gorgeous chunk of walnut, and almost seems a shame to put a lid on it.

I like the contemporary knob/finial... another beautiful piece.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-14-2010, 11:32 PM
If the lid begins to stick, I might be able to relieve the lid recess in the bowl if I can get it chucked up somehow.
;)

John..... a donut chuck...you can use to access either the bottom or the top of a bowl or hollow form.

Very nicely done John....You obviously have an eye for form, detail ....Very nicely done!

Jim Slovik
02-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Gorgeous, simply gorgeous!!
Jim

Jim C Bradley
02-15-2010, 1:03 AM
Hi John,

Every one else has already said it...That is one great bowl. It has beautiful design, fantastic wood, and a great artist to make it all come out.

Thanks for the pictures. You made my day.

Enjoy,

Jim

alex carey
02-15-2010, 4:33 AM
Beautiful walnut!

Ken Glass
02-15-2010, 9:50 AM
John,
Your talent is growing by leaps and bounds. What a great looking piece. Where do you find all the time? Way to go.

Keith Burns
02-15-2010, 10:52 AM
John, I just wanted to add my acolades. Very nice piece.

Roland Martin
02-15-2010, 11:51 AM
I like that design John. The Claro has some nice fiddleback & color, I love Claro. The maple seems to have enough figure to compliment the Claro, but not take away from it. Nice work John. Did somebody mention VORTEX?

Rob Cunningham
02-15-2010, 12:47 PM
John, I really like the contemporary look of this piece. Two beautiful pieces of wood that really compliment each other.
Do you ever sleep?:confused:

Norm Zax
02-15-2010, 2:19 PM
Well done indeed, and at such a stage, I'll change that to "exceptionally well done".
Can you spare a few words on the signature process?
thx...

Tony De Masi
02-15-2010, 5:14 PM
Well done once again John. Of course using two of your, and my, favorite woods only adds to it' likability. I hope you don't have many flat work jobs you have to get to.:D

Tony

John Keeton
02-15-2010, 7:11 PM
You guys are great!! I really appreciate and enjoy the encouraging remarks. My wife doesn't care for the HFs, so the last couple of pieces before this one were way to "arsty" for her. But, she liked this one. For a couple of weeks there, you all were my only source of support!!:( I guess I have to throw in a "regular bowl" now and then to get spousal approval!

Like Curt, I'm curious to see if you have warping issues over time in reference to moisture content of the purchased wood...Gary, I am not so much concerned on the moisture content of either wood, as both were bone dry. If there is a problem, I think it will be related to seasonal movement of the two woods. If they expand across the grain, then the lid is stuck!!! That may well happen, but we keep the house air conditioned in the summer and the relative humidity should stay nearly the same or less than it is now. I am hoping the two pieces of wood have reached their equilibrium and there will be little change. It might help if both of us kept our fingers crossed!:D

John..... a donut chuck...you can use to access either the bottom or the top of a bowl or hollow form.Ken, I will have to think about that! How would one flip the bowl to access the rim in a donut chuck?

Can you spare a few words on the signature process?
thx...Norm, the medallion is a 1.5" laser cut piece of maple that is recessed for a penny. I either recess the foot with a gouge, scraper and skew - or, drill it with a forstner before getting too far along with the blank. One can take the piece, still on the chuck, to the drill press. But, most of the time it is just as easy to cut the recess while spinning. You just have to remember that extra depth when you do the inside!;)

Chris Haas
02-15-2010, 9:01 PM
do you work for a living???? i'm seriously jealous of your shop time another awesome piece. your work is really getting good. congrats

John Keeton
02-15-2010, 9:59 PM
do you work for a living???? i'm seriously jealous of your shop time...Thanks, Chris. I am fortunate in that I am self employed, and I only schedule appointments 4 days a week. I live only 5 minutes from my office, and if things are slow, I will head home. One might call it "gradual retirement!";) It is a blessed life, and I thank the good Lord daily. The kids are grown, and my wife and I both have active hobbies, and little else in the way of responsibilities.

This piece didn't take long. I had good wood, and I probably have 5 hours in it total, spread over a couple of days - not counting the finish. I think I did most of that Friday afternoon (my day off), and finished up Saturday between other things. Then Sunday I applied finish between church, going on a shopping trip with the wife, etc. The lacquer finish goes on in 5 minutes, wait an hour, and another 5-10 minutes to buff it out and apply another coat, etc.

Brian Effinger
02-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Wow, just beautiful, John. You've hit another one out of the park!

I love the wood combination, and the finial is perfect. Nicely done, JK.

Brian

BTW, those photos have been downloaded to the "inspiration" folder on my computer. :)

Mark Hubl
02-15-2010, 11:06 PM
John,

Another winner. Love the contemporary style. It's funny, I am not a fan of mixed woods on flatwork, but I really think they work on turned pieces. These work well together.

Harvey Ghesser
02-16-2010, 9:24 AM
Outstanding, John!

Jack Mincey
02-16-2010, 10:09 AM
John,
Very very very nice. I think this might be my favorite do date. Keep them coming.
Jack

Tim Hughes37
02-16-2010, 10:25 AM
John - that is beautiful. I really like the contrast and the finish is looks great.

Eric Kosanovich
02-16-2010, 8:24 PM
Wow vary nice!!

Jeff Nicol
02-17-2010, 8:42 AM
John, By the amount of wonderful turnings you are putting out either you are not sleeping or the office has figured you took a trip around the world! Great bowl and the contrasting woods are super!! It is a very nice design and has tons of good things going for it! That little Delta is eaning its keep for you. Keep up the great production.

Jeff

John Keeton
02-17-2010, 9:50 AM
Thanks again, guys! You all are great, and I so much appreciate all the kind words. And, Jeff, yes I do love the Delta!!

It's funny, I am not a fan of mixed woods on flatwork, but I really think they work on turned pieces. These work well together.Mark, as others on the creek know, walnut and curly maple are my favorite woods, and I have used them together on several flatwork projects - against all convention apparently!!:D It was an easy choice for me to do the same on round stuff. The Claro has so much more color than does Black Walnut. I really enjoy working with it.