PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee 5625-20 Router

Dave Schreib
02-14-2010, 4:41 PM
Amazon has this router on sale and I was wondering what people think of it's above the table adjustment capability. I have no router table experience and was wondering if I would need a router lift with this router. I guess any other feed back on routers in this class would be appreciated as well. Thanks

Tom Cross
02-14-2010, 4:46 PM
Best router for table use I have ever used. Before it, I used Makita and Hitachi plunge routers. The Makita height can be adjusted in very small increments, the collets beat any I have used and it has as much power as I have ever needed. It is a work horse that I have been so pleased with.

It does have an above the table height adjustment mechanism so no lift is needed. I don't use it as opening the door and adjusting the height is so easy. I have never seen the need for a lift.

Dave Schreib
02-14-2010, 4:50 PM
It does have an above the table height adjustment mechanism so no lift is needed. I don't use it as opening the door and adjusting the height is so easy. I have never seen the need for a lift.

Does the above the table adjust require that you reach under to lock/unlock the mechanism?

scott spencer
02-14-2010, 5:24 PM
Does the above the table adjust require that you reach under to lock/unlock the mechanism?

Yes...most do. The smaller Freud FT1700 and big FT3000 have above table height lock & adjustment, and an auto collet lock for easy one handed above table bit changes. Thw MW5625 is a workhorse, but those two Freud's have better table features IMO.

John Thompson
02-14-2010, 7:22 PM
You do have to open to un-lock. I have run this router in my table for 8 years and run it hard. The above table works find but like Tom.. I just open the door and adjust as it only takes about 15 seconds to do. This is a Hoss of a router and so is the Milwuakee plunge combo 2 1/4 HP I have also. Power and build quality are there.

For under table use.. take the D rings off so it fits a standard insert opening.

Neil Brooks
02-14-2010, 7:40 PM
It's ... simply ... a beautiful thing!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_WVVYjLCNo2w/SutXjlaQ-QI/AAAAAAAAALQ/frHLsNZ_2Oo/s640/Router_Table_Milwaukee_103009.JPG

I 'skirted' the table with 1/8" masonite, and built out two DC ports on the back (upper and lower).

The DC provides enough suction that I didn't need to affix the masonite to the table legs. Bit changes and height adjustments really couldn't be much simpler.

Rick Moyer
02-14-2010, 8:35 PM
You do have to open to un-lock. I have run this router in my table for 8 years and run it hard. The above table works find but like Tom.. I just open the door and adjust as it only takes about 15 seconds to do. This is a Hoss of a router and so is the Milwuakee plunge combo 2 1/4 HP I have also. Power and build quality are there.

For under table use.. take the D rings off so it fits a standard insert opening.

Exactly. I have never comprehended the above-the-table need as it's easy to open the door and adjust, since you need to unlock the router anyway. Of course I haven't used a lift so maybe I'm missing soomething.

Dave Schreib
02-14-2010, 9:33 PM
So, what does the lift get you? Does using the lift mean that you dont have to reach under and unlock?

Mike Heidrick
02-14-2010, 9:34 PM
I have a 5625 in a lift - no unlock, no base, motor only fits in my V1 PRL. Above table router bit changes are easy to do. I use a bent wrench and a standard wrench.

Norman Pyles
02-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Exactly. I have never comprehended the above-the-table need as it's easy to open the door and adjust, since you need to unlock the router anyway. Of course I haven't used a lift so maybe I'm missing soomething.
After 2 back surgeries, one with a double fusion with rods and screws, I can comprehend the above the table need. YMMV :)

glenn bradley
02-14-2010, 10:39 PM
I have run one for a few years. I ran it for quite awhile with the t-wrench and supplied base. When Woodpecker announced the PRL-V2 htere were a few sales on the PRL-V1. When one came by at the right time, I bit and got the lift.

The standard base is very workable. The lift is a luxury for me but, not one I would ever like to give up. Is a lift required? No. Is this my favorite router in the whole wide world? Yes.