PDA

View Full Version : Birch plywood chip out

Bob Glenn
02-14-2010, 4:15 PM
I'm using birch plywood for the carcase of a cabinet that will be painted. Despite my precautions I've gotten some tear out of the veneer where I cut cross grain.

What can I use to fill the sections where the veneer has chipped away? I have heard auto body filler will work. I have some Durarock, but the container says not to use it for filling thin areas.

Joe Kieve
02-14-2010, 4:36 PM
Bob,
You're right, auto body filler (Bondo) works great. I've also used Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty. It's a powder that you mix with water, dries pretty quick, but not as quick as Bondo. Most hdw. stores and big box stores carry it.

joe

Myk Rian
02-14-2010, 4:38 PM
To help prevent the chipout, use a knife to score the edge on the cut line first.

Bob Glenn
02-14-2010, 5:20 PM
I did that, but got beyond the cut and got some tearout. My bad.

Tony Shea
02-14-2010, 6:39 PM
Scoring with a knife where you cut is going to be on the TS can require some serious precision. I seem to get by fine with nicely sharpened blades designed for the task. But I agree the bondo is the method of fixing the problem if the item is to be painted. Some masking tape on the backside of the cut seems to help as well.

Tony Bilello
02-14-2010, 7:35 PM
Add me to the Bondo vote.

Glen Butler
02-14-2010, 8:14 PM
Next time use the Tenryu Mel-Pro blade. You won't even need scoring. I have said it before and will say it again. It is an amazing blade.