PDA

View Full Version : Festool "Gloat" – this Kool-Aid is delicious!

Chris Nolin
02-14-2010, 2:31 PM
I would probably get way more work done at my job if I didn’t check Craigslist so often. But every time I hit a slow patch or have a moment between tasks I check it. Check CL, get a cup of coffee, check CL again, then go back to work, repeat.

Last week, though, it paid off again! A guy was selling his small collection of Festool tools. I didn’t own any Festool stuff, so I had to do some research before I went to meet the seller. There's no touching story to go along with the purchase, this time. He just wanted to get rid of it all, so I bought everything for $1,000.

- ES125 EQ sander with Systainer
- TS55 EQ Tracksaw with 55” track and Systainer (plus two screw clamps and an extra blade)
- MFT1080 table with the 42” track and miter gauge, plus the clamp thingies
- Two MFT bench hold downs (I think that's what they are)
- Kapex miter saw (plus an extra blade)
- What looks like a Festool vacuum hose, but no Festool vacuum.

So, I guess I drank the Kool-Aid and bought into the Festool system. This first sip went down easy, but I know the next swig with burn a little when I pay full price for additional tools! I don’t care! I’d always ignored Festool stuff in the past because the store displays looked so confusing and cluttered--too many accessories and gadgets. Not to mention the prices. But the system is so cool! I’m hooked now. Here are the requisite pictures:

Van Huskey
02-14-2010, 2:34 PM
Quite a haul.

You SUCK!

Matt Meiser
02-14-2010, 2:45 PM
Wow, you really do suck. :) Before investing in paper for the ETS125, I'd consider selling it and put the money towards the ETS150/3.

Joe Mioux
02-14-2010, 4:37 PM
that is an amazing buy!

gary Zimmel
02-14-2010, 4:54 PM
Great gloat Chris, real great gloat...

David DeCristoforo
02-14-2010, 5:36 PM
What? No vac? What a rip....

;)

Mike Heidrick
02-14-2010, 6:07 PM
You got the hose - where is the vac? Ripped off!

:D

Tony Shea
02-14-2010, 6:35 PM
That dude took a big lose on that stuff. Can't imagine coming across such luck on Craigslist. Just can't seem to find what I want. Glad to see someone else hittin lottery on it though.

Dave Lehnert
02-14-2010, 6:43 PM
So basically he sold the miter saw for a loss and gave everything else away.:confused: Makes you wonder.

Oh yeah...........

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/15/bill%20murray%20you%20suck.jpg

Mac McQuinn
02-14-2010, 7:34 PM
Well some days you're the fly and some days you're the windshield......:D
Good for you and enjoy your new toys!

Mac

Peter Quinn
02-14-2010, 9:59 PM
So you got a good deal on a Kapex, and Everything else was FREE!

Sounds like you got hosed too.:D Man, I'd like to get hosed like that. Round here the only thing I'm seeing on Craig's list are Crapsman RAS's and used roofing coil nailers. Lots of both.

Ben Martin
02-14-2010, 10:37 PM
You sure those tools aren't so hot they burn you when you use them????

Great snag!

Aaron Wingert
02-14-2010, 11:30 PM
What a find! Man I'm jealous of that Kapex. And that track saw. You suck. :p

Ray Newman
02-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Ben Martin: I was thinking the same....

Charles Krieger
02-14-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm thinking if it is too good to be true....there must be something wrong. I'd bet that the guy that sold that Festool stuff didn't come by it honestly.

Wade Lippman
02-15-2010, 1:17 AM
I'm thinking if it is too good to be true....there must be something wrong. I'd bet that the guy that sold that Festool stuff didn't come by it honestly.

I saw an unused Domino about 6 months after they were introduced for 70% of retail. I asked to see his receipt for purchase; he showed it to me and I bought the domino.

I hadn't worked out what I was going to do if he didn't have a receipt.

But yeah OP, you suck. You could probably turn around and sell it all for $1,600 or so.

Jason White
02-15-2010, 7:58 AM
Unbelievable.

Simply, unbelievable.

Jason

I would probably get way more work done at my job if I didn’t check Craigslist so often. But every time I hit a slow patch or have a moment between tasks I check it. Check CL, get a cup of coffee, check CL again, then go back to work, repeat.

Last week, though, it paid off again! A guy was selling his small collection of Festool tools. I didn’t own any Festool stuff, so I had to do some research before I went to meet the seller. There's no touching story to go along with the purchase, this time. He just wanted to get rid of it all, so I bought everything for $1,000.

- ES125 EQ sander with Systainer
- TS55 EQ Tracksaw with 55” track and Systainer (plus two screw clamps and an extra blade)
- MFT1080 table with the 42” track and miter gauge, plus the clamp thingies
- Two MFT bench hold downs (I think that's what they are)
- Kapex miter saw (plus an extra blade)
- What looks like a Festool vacuum hose, but no Festool vacuum.

So, I guess I drank the Kool-Aid and bought into the Festool system. This first sip went down easy, but I know the next swig with burn a little when I pay full price for additional tools! I don’t care! I’d always ignored Festool stuff in the past because the store displays looked so confusing and cluttered--too many accessories and gadgets. Not to mention the prices. But the system is so cool! I’m hooked now. Here are the requisite pictures:

Chris Nolin
02-15-2010, 8:28 AM
I didn't ask to see receipts when I bought the stuff. You get a sense for character when you meet someone, and he was a nice guy in his 60s who was certainly not wanting for money. He had to move his restored antique Porsche out of the garage in order to get to the MFT. Very large house in an upscale Denver neighborhood. His wife was charming. No, he didn't steal this stuff! He just wanted it out of his garage. Looked to me like he'd tried the woodworking thing a few years ago and didn't like it for some reason.

David Thompson 27577
02-15-2010, 10:37 AM
So, I guess I drank the Kool-Aid and bought into the Festool system. ..........:

Oh man! I feel for you!. You must not have heard about all of the problems that having that much Festool inventory can cause.

Tell ya what though, I'll help you out. Send me a PM and I'll give you my address -- you can ship most of that stuff to me.

<G>

Chris Nolin
02-15-2010, 10:58 AM
David, like what kind of problems? Health, marital, financial? All of the above!?!? I wouldn't want you to suffer the same fate, so to protect you, I'll keep them. You know, for safety reasons. ;)

glenn bradley
02-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Congrats to you. Condolences to whoever they were stolen from ;-)

Richard Dragin
02-15-2010, 11:43 AM
He just wanted it out of his garage. Looked to me like he'd tried the woodworking thing a few years ago and didn't like it for some reason.

Well bless him and people like him who make expensive tools accessible to us common folks. And you suck!