PDA

View Full Version : sleep number bed. any one have one?

keith ouellette
02-14-2010, 1:48 PM
I am interested in the i9 sleep number. it is on close out and is actually cheeper than the i6. We need a new mattress pretty bad so the timing is pretty good. The thing I am curious about is the memory foam. The i9 has 3 inches of th stuff. I was wondering if the foam ends up surrounding you when you lay down? like you sink into it or something.

Any info would be appreciated. Its a giant expense for us and I don't want to blow the money my wife has been saving.

Matt Meiser
02-14-2010, 2:06 PM
Keith, you can read all you want about a mattress, but the true test is to go and try them. Well the true test is to sleep on them but none of the stores would let me do that. :D With regard to your specific question, I'd almost guarantee you could find 2 opposing answers because it will depend on you.

We looked at Sleep Number and came really close to buying. We looked at Tempurpedic and again came really close to buying. We were leaning towards the latter just because we could get a better deal on the display model at a local store. We thought we should look again at conventional mattress one more time and found a Sealy that we really liked. 7 months or so later we are still really happy. Different people like different things (and maybe change what they like over time) which is one big benefit of the Sleep Number bed. But for less than 1/2 the cost we got something that should last us a good long time.

I will tell you that my experience with memory foam both a topper we have in our camper and the memory foam built into the top of our mattress is that you do sink in. I find it quite comfortable. I've not found it to be particularly hot which is one complaint I read.

Paul Ryan
02-14-2010, 2:35 PM
Keith,

My wife had one for about 2 years before I meet her. So the bed is about 10 years old now. I have never been a huge fan of it. It is ok but I like conventional matresses better. My wife really liked the bed but it is starting to bother her now as well. We still sleep well on it, but the middle of the bed has a dip in in. And it is not from from "sleeping together", we are married we don't do that any more. I really dont know if they are all they are cracked up to be. You can try it out for 30 days for free. And I am sure they will find out a way for you to keep it after that. But for the money I don't think they are any better than a conventional. I think the only couple they are really good for are those that really like 2 different type of matresses. If you both like the same firmness. Then I think you would be just as happy with a conventional. I know there are lot of couples that really like them, I also know of many couples that couldn't stand them.

Matt Meiser
02-14-2010, 2:47 PM
Are the bladders maybe pushed apart? IIRC there are two with a piece of foam or something in the middle?

David G Baker
02-14-2010, 3:55 PM
The 30 or 90 day trial use of the Sleep Number or the Memory Foam can be a major problem when you decide that you don't like the mattress and try to return it. There are some horror stories on the Internet about the unreasonable reason the retailers use to refuse to accept a return. This may apply to local dealers and may not be an example that applies in all cases.
I tried a non brand memory foam mattress for about a year and found that in the Summer months the mattress is too soft and in the Winter it is like sleeping on a bed of bricks so I gave up on thinking about buying a Tempurpedic set up.
I would like to try the Sleep Number bed but probably won't due to the up front cost and the possibility or probability of the seller not accepting a return if I am not happy with the bed.

Greg Cuetara
02-14-2010, 3:56 PM
My wife and I bought a P5 model right before Christmas. We slept on it for 2 weeks and hated it. We are both side sleepers and in our opinion the bed is best suited for back sleepers.

When i called up to return it they offered me a 'pain kit' which is another few inches of foam. A lot of people think they are great but that is why there are different manufacturers of mattresses out there. Beware that the closeout models etc. sometimes do not include the 30 day trial or you have the option to return the bed for another model if you don't like it.

Also, take a hard look at the 'foundation'. I think it is about $400 more and is only a solid platform. You will also need either the feet for about $150 more or a frame for about $140. I build a platform bed for about $60 and it has worked great so far.

I started a thread back in december on the sleep number beds. I am sure you can do a quick search and see others opinions.

Greg

Paul Ryan
02-14-2010, 4:09 PM
Are the bladders maybe pushed apart? IIRC there are two with a piece of foam or something in the middle?

Thanks for the suggestion Matt,

I have checked before and the foam looked like it was OK. Sleep Number wants an arm and a leg for a replacement that may or may not fix it. I have been trying to find a furniture refinisher around here to get a piece of foam from. But I haven't gotten to far yet, due to lack of motivation.

Bruce Volden
02-14-2010, 4:10 PM
I just had to respond to this!! A friend of mine and his wife bought one a few years ago and loved it. However, several months into owning it they began having troubles with the remote control that inflates/deflates the bladder. Seems it would deflate or inflate to a point quite frequently. While having a block party and discussing things it seems the neighbors were experiencing the same "rituals". Come to find out that the frequencies of the controls were being broadcast around the close quartered neighborhood and causing this. They all found it quite hilarious :D :D I beleive this is a true story.

Bruce

Brian Elfert
02-14-2010, 6:27 PM
I have I believe the absolute cheapest Sleep Number bed they make. I like it. I have the queen with single chamber since I don't have a partner.

I think it will outlast any innerspring mattress out there. The only problem I have is sometimes the firmness will change so I adjust it and a few days later the firmness needs to be adjusted back the other way. Not a huge deal.

I can see how the dual chamber model could be an issue for couples especially if the firmness is set low on one or both sides.

Dave Lehnert
02-14-2010, 6:57 PM
My mom has a sleep number and likes it. No problem with it deflating.

it is nothing more than an air mattress you use camping with a layer of foam around it. Have you ever had to sleep on an air mattress ?(like the photo below, just thicker) If so, you have your answer if you like or dislike a sleep number.

http://www.campist.com/archives/coleman-nightlight-airbed-inflatable-mattress.JPG

Jim Becker
02-14-2010, 7:23 PM
Dave, I admire your comparison, but it's a little, umm...simplified...since it doesn't account for how the SN is put together.

For the record, we love ours and have had it for many years now. (The mid-range model) Professor Dr. SWMBO likes to sleep in her "trough"...she's a 30...and I prefer firmer at about 50. It's worked well for us and I find it quite comfortable, both for back sleeping (which I do most of the time) as well as side sleeping. I will agree that the former is the best, however.

SN isn't for everyone. I could have been quite comfortable on the TempurPedic, but Professor Dr. SWMBO couldn't handle the "hot" sleeping it tends toward for many folks. The only standard mattress that I've been on that would give me second thoughts is the "Heavenly Bed" popular at some hotels.

Pat Germain
02-15-2010, 12:20 AM
I was shopping for a new mattress just a few weeks ago. I read many "reviews" online. I got the impression a lot of them were thinly disguised propaganda produced by manufacturers and retailers. Actual owner reviews were all over the place. Some loved a particular mattress. About the same number of people would hate the same example.

I think Jim got it right. Different people like different types of beds. I tried a Tempurpedic while I was shopping. I just didn't like it. And I also didn't like the price. But I'm sure it's well worth it for people who like that type of bed. And I'm sure it's the same for the Sleep Number bed.

I eventually decided to buy a high-end conventional, inner spring mattress. With the "platform" this type of matress was well over $1,000 everywhere I looked. (My old box spring was shot.) It's tough to compare matresses because every retailer carries unique models and model numbers. But you can get a good idea about features such as number of springs and such.

I went to Costco where they had some very nice, high end conventional mattresses. They were knocked down to $475 including the platform. I figured for that price, it was worth trying it. And Costco has a very friendly return policy. (Unlike mattress retailers.)

Mrs. Pat and I really like the new mattress from Costco. It's a Sealy. So, if you're not quite sure you want to pony up for a Sleep Number bed, you might consider just buying a conventional mattress at Costco. Even if they wear out after a few years, you can buy several of them and still not reach the cost for one Sleep Number bed. The prices are so good at Costco, that alone should help you sleep better. ;)

Dave Lehnert
02-15-2010, 6:12 PM
Dave, I admire your comparison, but it's a little, umm...simplified...since it doesn't account for how the SN is put together.

For the record, we love ours and have had it for many years now. (The mid-range model) Professor Dr. SWMBO likes to sleep in her "trough"...she's a 30...and I prefer firmer at about 50. It's worked well for us and I find it quite comfortable, both for back sleeping (which I do most of the time) as well as side sleeping. I will agree that the former is the best, however.

SN isn't for everyone. I could have been quite comfortable on the TempurPedic, but Professor Dr. SWMBO couldn't handle the "hot" sleeping it tends toward for many folks. The only standard mattress that I've been on that would give me second thoughts is the "Heavenly Bed" popular at some hotels.

I will give you the fact the mattress is most likely a better build quality than a basic camping one but the way the sleep number bed was assembled (by me) was an air mattress placed inside a foam like box. then a cover was zipped over it.

keith ouellette
02-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the advice.
we are having an I9 sleep number delivered tomorrow. It is very similar o the I7 as they both have 3 inches of memory foam plus some other padding.

We thought the ones without the memory foam were ok but not great. the p7 and the i9 were very very comfortable and seeing the i9 is being discontinued it wasn't any more than the p5 model,

Dave; I understand your comparison but from what I have seen the sleep number mattress is much different than a blow up camping mattress. Thats like saying a balloon is the same thing as an inner tube. But thanks for the advice just the same.

Dave Lehnert
02-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Hope you enjoy it. I need to start looking for a new mattress myself.

My moms bed came in 3 or 4 boxes by UPS. Not too hard to put together.
Here is a video that will give you a head start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAOdlDFvHeM&feature=related

Rick Moyer
01-03-2014, 3:19 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled on it looking for something else and wanted to give my input for anyone looking for a new mattress. I did a lot of research and decided on the Ascend model here: http://www.habitatfurnishings.com/air_bed.html
The wife and I could not be happier. It was a leap of faith ordering without trying out, but after watching all the videos I was convinced it was the best of both worlds (memory foam and adjustability).
Not affiliated, just very pleased with the bed.