PDA

View Full Version : Preparing live edge bowl for storage...

Donny Lawson
02-14-2010, 1:41 PM
I roughed out my first live edge bowl this morning and was wanting to know how should I go about putting it up to dry? I usually put regular bowls in a bag with shavings after sealing the end grain.Would this bowl be different?The bowl is a maple with good bark.I left the sides about 1" thick.
Donny

Nathan Hawkes
02-14-2010, 2:40 PM
Donny, there are a lot of different opinions on turning, drying, then returning, etc. If I'm trying to keep the bark attached, I definitely turn to finished thickness in one session. Sometimes I have to stop & pick up in the morning if I start a big piece late in the evening, covering it up to keep some moisture in, unless it is especially warm outside; on humid Virginia summer nights this can lead to mildew even overnight. No chance of that anytime soon! :D I've found it pretty difficult to keep bark on pieces that are dried out, due to the vibration increase in dried wood. Just my experience. I always lose pieces of bark & end up searching through the shavings on the floor.....

David E Keller
02-14-2010, 2:45 PM
1+ for turning to finished form... Why wait? Any warping will add to the character of the final piece, and your risk for cracking and bark loss will be lessened.

Donny Lawson
02-14-2010, 8:07 PM
Thanks, since I had to start another bowl I anchorsealed the live edge one and put it up.I will take it back out in the morning and finish it up.Thanks for the info.
Donny

Donny Lawson
02-15-2010, 6:17 PM
OK, I have turned it to a finished thickness. Now do I seal it or just let it dry with nothing on it?Should I put it in a bag and let it dry naturally with shavings?Need to know ASAP please.
. Thanks, Donny

David E Keller
02-15-2010, 7:52 PM
If you turned it pretty thin, just leave it. I usually go ahead and put on an oil finish. That probably slows the drying a bit, and it certainly will enhance the grain. Photos needed.

Nathan Hawkes
02-15-2010, 9:25 PM
Donny, for me it depends on how wet the wood is. If its an especially wet piece, I let it dry for a week or more at a minimum. Sandpaper just tends to load up with gummy dust if the wood is really wet. I don't bag bowls anymore that I turn to final thickness unless they are sopping wet. I have very good results this way, but I do take a look at it at least a couple times in the first day to see if any cracks are forming; this is the time to soak them with CA glue.

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2010, 9:27 PM
Donny when I take a natural edge to finish I also put a oil finish on it right away. Then two more coats.