PDA

View Full Version : Veritas 5 1/4 "junior jack"

Zach England
02-14-2010, 1:40 PM
Does anyone have this plane? What do you think of it? When do you use it?

I have had it for a while and tried to use it on several occasions, and I just can't get a feel for it. Something about it just does not feel right to me, but I can't identify what it is.

Just wondering if I am the only one...

Foras Noir
02-14-2010, 8:47 PM
Lie-Nielsen did it so Lee Valley does it.

I set up my 5-1/2 and 5-1/4 with corrugated soles and toothed irons. The 4-1/2 is set up std. Together all three are great. I use Lie-Nielsen. Don't know if 5-1/2, 5-1/4 pair would be worth it without the mods. Don't know if Lee Valley offers the mods.

I use the 5-1/2, 5-1/4 pair with mods to level and drop stock down but less than say a big time scrub like the 40-1/2.

Basically, in my bent and broken mind, I see the 5-1/4 as a narrow 5-1/2. I get more push when I need it. More "power" per unit of "cut." Crazy talk but sound shop physics.

Jim Belair
02-15-2010, 8:07 AM
I use the LV 5 1/4 as my standard smoother. I selected it a few years back when I was starting out in hand tools as it has about 1 1/2" longer sole in front of the mouth which made it easier to register the start of the cut. I've got a lot more planes now (3, MF15, 7, LAJ, etc) and still don't own a 4 or 4 1/2. The LV 5 1/4 still does it for me.

Jim B

Don Dorn
01-01-2012, 6:41 PM
I'm not sure you can really call LVs 5 1/4 a Junior Jack. It's blade width is 2" as opposed to 1 3/4" - the length is simply a bit shorter. Don't get me wrong, I have allot of Veritas equipment and love it, but my 5 1/4 is a Stanley and I use it far more than I ever thought I would. There is something about the shorter and narrower size that makes it just right for smaller projects from beginning to end. If I ever felt the need to go "premium" for this plane, it would be LN due to the original size. It's like my #3 has a slightly bigger brother.

Mark Wyatt
01-02-2012, 9:47 AM
I like my Veritas 5 1/4" and use it as my primary Jack plane in soft woods. It is set up to take a somewhat more aggressive cut than would normally be the case in hardwoods. It works very well for me.

Jim Neeley
01-02-2012, 1:29 PM
The 5-1/4 is good for use as explained above; it is also useful for some who find the wider planes difficult to use. Since it makes a narrower cut it is easier to push than a wider plane of the same depth of cut or permits a deeper cut at the same force as the wider plane.