PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Saw Question...

Joe Leigh
02-14-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Grizzly 1023S. It's on sale for $750 + freight and it's just too much saw to pass up for that price. My question has to do with shop size. My shop is relatively small at 12' x 24'.
Is that too small to realistically contain a 3hp cabinet saw? I would be keeping the 30" rip capacity and purchasing a mobile base. Anyone here have this saw with a shop my size or smaller??

Rich Johnson
02-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Just a note it has a rip of 25 inches to right not 30.

John Morrison60
02-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Joe

I have a Unisaw in a basement shop that is 12 x 20.
It is tight but I like it.
I end up using the saw as work surface a lot. but I cover it and
it works fine. Saves a lot of steps.
I never cut big plywood,
I precut that either at the lumber yard, or on a cut table in my garage
using a guided circular saw.

Good planning and careful layout can solve most of the small shop issues.

Good luck with the new saw.
John

Maurice Ungaro
02-14-2010, 1:40 PM
Joe,
I have an 18' X 22" shop (hehe...my wife thought it was a garage...hehe...) and have a Uni w/52" rails. It's on a mobile base, so I can keep it up agains a wall, and then just swing it 90 deg. out onto the floor space when I want to use it. You should be fine with the 30" rails.

Van Huskey
02-14-2010, 2:13 PM
You should have plenty of room, especially if you use a mobile base.

I assume you know but reiterate it for anyone else looking at the saw, it is a right tilt, 25" rip capacity and pretty sure it does not have a riving knife. I know the left tilt is $375 more but it has serpentine drive, better dust collection, a riving knife and a better guard. The 1023S is at a great price but there is a reason they are closing them out...

Mike Henderson
02-14-2010, 2:27 PM
My shop is 10' by 11' and I have a TS with a 30" Beisemeyer fence system on it. Of course, only one person can be in the shop at a time.:)

Mike

Jim Dunn
02-14-2010, 3:13 PM
My shop is 10' by 11' and I have a TS with a 30" Beisemeyer fence system on it. Of course, only one person can be in the shop at a time.:)

Mike

Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?:D

Joe Leigh
02-14-2010, 3:19 PM
Joe

I have a Unisaw in a basement shop that is 12 x 20.
It is tight but I like it.
I end up using the saw as work surface a lot. but I cover it and
it works fine. Saves a lot of steps.
I never cut big plywood,
I precut that either at the lumber yard, or on a cut table in my garage
using a guided circular saw.

Good planning and careful layout can solve most of the small shop issues.

Good luck with the new saw.
John

Thanks John. As for the sheet goods I plan on doing the same thing you're doing.

I assume you know but reiterate it for anyone else looking at the saw, it is a right tilt, 25" rip capacity and pretty sure it does not have a riving knife. I know the left tilt is $375 more but it has serpentine drive, better dust collection, a riving knife and a better guard. The 1023S is at a great price but there is a reason they are closing them out...

Yes I know. I did see a site that sells an aftermarket riving knife that fits the 1023.

Mike

10 x 11? Wow, that's impressive. I feel so foolish now....

Fred Preston
02-14-2010, 3:24 PM
other than being heavy a cabinet saw doesn't have any more footprint than a contractors saw [maybe less]. on a mobile base it will move around just fine. keep in mind it is heavy. right tilt ys. left tilt is a non issue IMHO as is a riving knife. A good splitter will serve the same purpose but will have to be removed for non through cuts. the 25" rip capacity can be a challenge but can be worked around. I have my own opinion on grizzly but I will keep that to myself. that is a good price for what you are going to get.

Glen Butler
02-14-2010, 3:48 PM
I used to think that I needed room to both sides of my saw until I got in my new location. Then I realized that there is never a need to extend material to the right any farther than the cut capacity of the saw so I just pushed the saw up to the right wall and created all sorts of room for myself. I have a 52" saw in a 16' wide area including a 24" deep SCMS station. You should be able to use a 30" cabinet saw in a 12' wide space.

Here you can see the saw and SCMS in the background.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=136625&d=1262193462

Joe Shinall
02-14-2010, 4:26 PM
I used to think that I needed room to both sides of my saw until I got in my new location. Then I realized that there is never a need to extend material to the right any farther than the cut capacity of the saw so I just pushed the saw up to the right wall and created all sorts of room for myself. I have a 52" saw in a 16' wide area including a 24" deep SCMS station. You should be able to use a 30" cabinet saw in a 12' wide space.

Here you can see the saw and SCMS in the background.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=136625&d=1262193462

Hey Glen, looks like you could really use a clamp rack. :D Nice lil pile you got.

Rick Davidson
02-14-2010, 4:55 PM
I am still new to woodworking, but I have a right tilt with 52" rails in a 16'X20' The 52" is in the 16' direction. I haven't had any issues yet.

Jason White
02-14-2010, 5:00 PM
My shop is smaller and I have a similar saw (G1023SLW). It doesn't take up any more room than my previous contractor saw did.

In fact, I installed a Biesemeyer fence with longer rails (30" to right side of blade) and still don't have any problems.

Jason

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Grizzly 1023S. It's on sale for $750 + freight and it's just too much saw to pass up for that price. My question has to do with shop size. My shop is relatively small at 12' x 24'.
Is that too small to realistically contain a 3hp cabinet saw? I would be keeping the 30" rip capacity and purchasing a mobile base. Anyone here have this saw with a shop my size or smaller??

Maurice Ungaro
02-15-2010, 9:40 AM
Joe,
Don't know where you are located, but you NEED to get together with Todd in Colorado: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132938

Rod Sheridan
02-15-2010, 9:57 AM

Yes I have a General 650 with 32" rip capacity in a 12' X 18' shop.

As others have indicated, it doesn't take up any more room than a contractor saw (maybe even less).

Having a small shop doesn't preclude having good machinery, what it precludes is building massive pieces of furniture, which is probably just as well as I'd have to carry them up the stairs.:D

Regards, Rod.

Maurice Ungaro
02-15-2010, 10:05 AM
having a small shop doesn't preclude having good machinery, what it precludes is building massive pieces of furniture, which is probably just as well as i'd have to carry them up the stairs.:d

amen to that!

Don Morris
02-15-2010, 11:15 AM
My shop is 9'W in some spots. overall 10' by 20' until we had an addition to home, where we added 10' more feet to the 20'. So now it's about 10' X 30'. My 1023SL has more than ample room as others have stated. Mobile bases with fold down outfeed table will solve most of your problems. My 1100cfm dust collection system also is on mobile base as are all my other stand alone units! Lots of 4" tubes running around I can connect to the dust collection unit, but it works. My work bench is only 26"X55" but I built it to the height of the 1023 as I also built the router table to the same height as the 1023. With the outfeed table up, I have a lot of work space which I seldom need that much. Always looking for ways to economize the space in which I work. Every now and then I try a new work flow process. Some do, some don't. Walls are occupied, little space unused, be analytical. You've got enough. Enjoy!

Cary Falk
02-15-2010, 11:43 AM
I have a Unisaw with a 52" fence. My space is 1/3 of a 3 car garage. I can move the cars out when I am working but they come back in at night. Everything is on wheels. When I got my Uni, I was amazed how small it seemed. It takes up a little less room then my contractor saw did due to the motor hanging out the back.

Joe Leigh
02-15-2010, 8:50 PM
Joe,
Don't know where you are located, but you NEED to get together with Todd in Colorado: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132938

Thanks Maurice, that's a sweet deal but I'm on the east coast.

Dave Lehnert
02-15-2010, 9:08 PM

The reason they are being closed out. All new built tablesaws must, by law, have a riving knife.

Glen Butler
02-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Hey Glen, looks like you could really use a clamp rack. :D Nice lil pile you got.

I know . . . I hope I'll get there someday. I am just to busy building everybody else stuff I don't have time to devote to set up the shop completely. It comes in pieces. Woodworking is a full time job for me and I am slammed right now.

Van Huskey
02-16-2010, 1:21 AM
The reason they are being closed out. All new built tablesaws must, by law, have a riving knife.

Technically, it is not directly a result in a change in the law but safety certification orginazations requiring it to be certified which is indirectly related to law in that certain laws require certain safety certification(s) to be used in certain situations.

I still am fascinated by the fact they retooled the 1023s for a riving knife when the 690 seemed to be poised to be their "bargain" 10" cabinet saw when the new certification changes took effect at the beginning of the year, now they have two very similar saws within $125 of each other. My WAG is they had a LOT of 1023 components left thus making it cost effective even after the changes required

Jim O'Dell
02-16-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm not sure how cost effective it is from the standpoint of using existing parts. The base has a change to the right side. Has a new bump out, or at least the pictures make it appear to have this. If I am right, this may be to accommodate the new trunnion set up with the dust chute around the blade when tilting the blade. The trunnion is completely different. I bet the top had to be changed to work with the riving knife. That doesn't leave much that is the same.
Maybe Pappa Bear will see this discussion, and fill in the blanks so we'll quit guessing. :D:D To me, it almost looks like the 690/1 is the "bridge" model. And the new 1023 series is the new saw.
By the way, I have the 691 and I love it! I haven't made a significant cut with it yet. If I get to paint the mobile base for it Sat. afternoon, then I'll see how it cuts! :p Jim.

Van Huskey
02-17-2010, 12:10 AM
I'm not sure how cost effective it is from the standpoint of using existing parts. The base has a change to the right side. Has a new bump out, or at least the pictures make it appear to have this. If I am right, this may be to accommodate the new trunnion set up with the dust chute around the blade when tilting the blade. The trunnion is completely different. I bet the top had to be changed to work with the riving knife. That doesn't leave much that is the same.
Maybe Pappa Bear will see this discussion, and fill in the blanks so we'll quit guessing. :D:D To me, it almost looks like the 690/1 is the "bridge" model. And the new 1023 series is the new saw.
By the way, I have the 691 and I love it! I haven't made a significant cut with it yet. If I get to paint the mobile base for it Sat. afternoon, then I'll see how it cuts! :p Jim.

Actually some very good points, maybe they just had a lot of extra green paint. :p Another WAG centers around the fact the hybrid seems to have disappeared, maybe the 0690 was meant to take that price point but development ended up with it so near the 1023 that they just made it a full on cabinet saw and hopped the 1023.