PDA

View Full Version : Lasered Corian House Signs

David Harvey
02-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Just did 4 house signs for family members. These were made out of Corian (glacier White) material..and routed on the CNC router. The signs were then lasered and then the wife paint filled them.

Each one kinda depicts a theme they were interested. One liked horses, another loves birds and their dog and of course one for good ole country living..

Thought I would share...these were the first house signs I've made from Corian.

Anthony Welch
02-14-2010, 12:21 PM
I like these. you did a very good job.

Anthony

fred sanchez
02-14-2010, 12:35 PM
really nice

Viktor Voroncov
02-14-2010, 2:07 PM
Great job, David! Is it true that you engrave Corian with laser? If YES, which settings do you use?

David Harvey
02-14-2010, 2:45 PM
Great job, David! Is it true that you engrave Corian with laser? If YES, which settings do you use?

Yes, these were all engraved on the laser. Corian is a tough material and I've found you have to slow the speed down and raise the power to get a deep enough engraving for the paint filling that follows. I have a 75w system and used Speed-20% and Power-100% with the focus set to slightly out-of-focus.

Hope this helps

Dee Gallo
02-14-2010, 4:08 PM
Nice work, David! Corian is such a nice material - what did you color fill with? And did you get little lines in the wider engraved areas (I have in the past) or did the out-of-focus thing take care of that?

cheers, dee

David Harvey
02-14-2010, 4:25 PM
Nice work, David! Corian is such a nice material - what did you color fill with? And did you get little lines in the wider engraved areas (I have in the past) or did the out-of-focus thing take care of that?

cheers, dee
Thanks Dee, Yes, I have come to LOVE Corian. It is a charm to route, almost like going thru putty. Engraving is pretty tough though...I have cut thru 1/2" Corian on my system, but would not want to do very much of that (I ran the speed down to 2%!?!?!?).
The paint used for the filling was black acrylic hand brushed on and then wiped with a damp towel. After drying, I sanded the surface smears with an orbital sander (don't use the common 'palm sanders'...the ones with a foam like pad for the sandpaper to fasten to...this will allow the sandpaper to drop into the larger paint filled areas...thus removing the paint).
Initial test engraving produced results like you found to happen on yours. The sharp focus of the beam and low burn-off of the material would leave visible lines...if looked at under magnification, I would bet they were 'V' shaped. When I adjusted the focus so that it was ~3/32" higher than normal focus, the lines seemed to disappear. This allowed the beam to overlap on each pass...It helps a lot.

Keith Outten
02-14-2010, 4:42 PM
David,

Your Corian signs are very nice, the engraving work really makes them unique and classy.

Super job!

David Harvey
02-14-2010, 4:58 PM
David,

Your Corian signs are very nice, the engraving work really makes them unique and classy.

Super job!
Thanks Keith....and I really mean 'THANKS!'...you taught me all I needed to know on this Corian stuff...

Yes...I'm hooked ;)

Liesl Dexheimer
02-14-2010, 5:12 PM
Absolutely beautiful, great job to both you & your wife! ;)

Frank Corker
02-14-2010, 6:37 PM
Nice job David

Larry Bratton
02-14-2010, 6:42 PM
Nice job David!
I like working with solid surface material also.FYI LG HIMACS makes 1/4" in addition to 1/2". I don't believe Corian does. You have the master distributor KVF Distribution in Raleigh. I can cut 1/4" with my 40watts but not 1/2"

Keith Outten
02-15-2010, 7:17 AM
Larry,

Dupont makes 1/4" Corian in select colors.

Stuart Orrell
02-15-2010, 3:39 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences David. Those signs look great!