PDA

View Full Version : air compressor motor information

Karl Card
02-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Okay first of all dont laugh to hard when you read what I am dealing with.
I have 3 HF 3hp 21 gallon air compressors. I got for nearly nothing.
2 work okay one will do only 5 psi. The motor on these are the motor and pump all in one. What I am wondering is if there is another company out there that makes a replacement motor that actually has some quality to it that I can buy to put on these tanks and have a "good" a/c.

I have googled this ideal and all i get are the regular a/c compressor motors that a person would use with a pump seperate.

Thanks for any and all help.

Myk Rian
02-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Okay first of all dont laugh to hard when you read what I am dealing with.
I have 3 HF 3hp 21 gallon air compressors. I got for nearly nothing.
2 work okay one will do only 5 psi. The motor on these are the motor and pump all in one. What I am wondering is if there is another company out there that makes a replacement motor that actually has some quality to it that I can buy to put on these tanks and have a "good" a/c.

I have googled this ideal and all i get are the regular a/c compressor motors that a person would use with a pump seperate.

Thanks for any and all help.
I have the 220 volt model. Not bad for $129. Had to tighten a few fittings to keep it from leaking down. OK now.
You would have to pull the motor off to see what there is to work with. Might have to be creative to do it.
Why change the motor? Pull the head off and check the reed valves.

Karl Card
02-14-2010, 4:11 PM
I have the 220 volt model. Not bad for $129. Had to tighten a few fittings to keep it from leaking down. OK now.
You would have to pull the motor off to see what there is to work with. Might have to be creative to do it.
Why change the motor? Pull the head off and check the reed valves.

a friend of mine here suggested that tooo... so I think majority rules...
Thanks for the thought..

Myk Rian
02-14-2010, 4:27 PM
There is a valve directly after the compressor, on the tank. Look at that also.

Karl Card
02-14-2010, 5:19 PM
i took the head off and the reed valve didnt appear to be bad...BUT i did find a nice chunk of gasket gone...I am going to go ahead and replace the three gaskets that are there. I will have to make them since these would be on the very slow boat from china. What kind of gasket material would be the best for this type of setup. Also would indian head shelac be out of the question? You may laugh at taht one but indian head shelac would stop up a city sewer system if had the chance..lol

Karl Card
02-14-2010, 5:23 PM
There is a valve directly after the compressor, on the tank. Look at that also.

would this maybe be a T shaped valve with one line coming off that is about half the size of the main copper line?

Understand that I have never, ever messed with compressors before so it is not that I am stupid, just a little ignorant maybe...lol or something like that..

Myk Rian
02-14-2010, 5:56 PM
Get gasket material at an auto supply. Exhaust gasket may work also. Make sure the thickness is close.

Here's a pic of the valve. Make sure nothing (gasket) is plugging it up.

Karl Card
02-14-2010, 5:59 PM
alright that is the same valve i thought it was. I sure do appreciate the help...