PDA

View Full Version : finish for shelves - suggestions??

Betsy Yocum
10-26-2004, 11:36 PM
Was asked to make some "different shelves" for an artsy fartsy store. These are what I came up with. The shadow box like shelf is from mahogany the flat shelf is oak and walnut.

I'm planning on using three coats of Danish oil finish and then a coat or two of wipe on poly for its durability. Any ideas on whether I should change my plans on the finish?

Thanks for looking.
Betsy

Keith Christopher
10-27-2004, 12:06 AM
Oh that cries out for some dyes. We know we don't paint good wood like mahog ! Some aniline dies in good colors ! some Greens reds blues and whites. that "Z" needs some too ! if it's artsy fartsy they'll love the dyed mahog, I wouldn't do the whole thing maybe the semi circles and the :Z:. just my opinion. then a couple of coats of tung oil to shine it up.

oh and BTW I LOVE THEM they're awesome ! VERY creative. :)

Betsy Yocum
10-27-2004, 12:36 AM
Keith - thanks for the ideas - I would have never thought of dyes. I've not used them before - now would be a good time to experiment because it is "artsy fartsy" so just about anything goes. Even if I don't like it - somebody probably will!!!:D

Have to admit to having trouble thinking outside the box on these designs - they are not my typical doings -

Thanks again for the ideas and compliment!!
Betsy

Pat Monahan
10-27-2004, 2:02 AM
Betsy
Neat Designs! I agree that colour would be an idea in finishing, but another option is doing inlays - maybe a strip of walnut along the front edge of the oak shelf and an oak cross hatch pattern on the walnut Z part. As for the top shelf, maybe something inlaid on the half circle pieces? Just a few ideas...
BTW, what type of hangers did you use to attach to the wall?
Thanks for sharing your ideas
Pat

Betsy Yocum
10-27-2004, 6:43 AM
Pat - thanks for the ideas. :)

I'm planning to use a bit I can't remember the name of - :o - makes the slot that you rest the screw head in - for the flat oak and walnut shelf and will use simply picture hangers for the shadow shelf. (it's to thin for the router bit) In the pictures the shelves are just hanging on 2 nails that are supposed to be holding up a picture on my wall when the shelves are not there for their photo op.

Thanks
Betsy

Tony Falotico
10-27-2004, 7:01 AM
Have to admit to having trouble thinking outside the box on these designs - they are not my typical doings - Betsy

Know what you mean Betsy about coming out of that box -- a few years back a friend asked for some bird houses that were 'old timey looking' :rolleyes: with joints that did not fit perfectly, sides not exactly 90 degrees to each other, rough finish wood, and NO SANDING OR FINISHING ALLOWED! She even had the nerve to ask for a nail driven part way in and bent over !! ON THE FRONT !!!! :eek: I thought the wood God's would certainly strike me down.

Anyway, hang outside that box for a while, your designs are beautiful !!

Betsy Yocum
10-27-2004, 1:14 PM
Anyway, hang outside that box for a while, your designs are beautiful !!
Thanks Tony - sounds like that birdhouse was quite a project - can't imagine designing something to look old. :)

Betsy

Charlie Plesums
10-28-2004, 12:16 AM
Those designs are too nice to color. I would love to see how the wood comes out with a clear finish (my normal finish is lacquer, but whatever)

Keith Christopher
10-28-2004, 1:47 AM
I agree the designs are awesome, the dyes will add color and keep the grain beauty of the wood in tact. and I think they would look great as is, but with it being for something artsy fartsy I was suggesting to simply color it up a little. :)

Norman Hitt
10-28-2004, 4:32 AM
Betsy, Very Clever Designs, and nicely built. You not only got Out of the Box with these, You got Right Up On Top of that Box. Maybe you should stay out there for a while, No tellin' what other Neat Designs might come to mind while you're up in that Ozone layer. Let us see 'em again when you get the finish on.