PDA

View Full Version : Target WB shellac

Byron Trantham
02-14-2010, 9:19 AM
I am thinking about converting from alcohol to water based shellac from Target. Anyone out there use this stuff? What is the cut as delivered? 2#, 1#?:confused:

Jim Becker
02-14-2010, 9:50 AM
Byron, the Target product isn't like regular shellac. I believe someone posted here not long ago that it's designed primarily as a sealer. I wouldn't consider it a replacement for shellac for other uses...such as "the" finish...based on my one experience with it. As to the consistency, if I recall, it was fairly thin and I had to be careful when spraying it to avoid runs.

Byron Trantham
02-14-2010, 9:56 AM
Byron, the Target product isn't like regular shellac. I believe someone posted here not long ago that it's designed primarily as a sealer. I wouldn't consider it a replacement for shellac for other uses...such as "the" finish...based on my one experience with it. As to the consistency, if I recall, it was fairly thin and I had to be careful when spraying it to avoid runs.

Actually, that's what I use it for - sealer and/or barrier coat. I just posted a question them (Target) about the cut. I did use it about 2 years ago and went back to Zinzer (sp?). My wife has been diagnosed with COPD so anything I can do to reduce fumes is good. We can work around the alcohol smell but it would be much simpler to just use a WB product if practical. :o

Roger Jensen
02-14-2010, 12:20 PM
I use it as a barrier coat between their clear stain and 8000 CV topcoat. It is pretty thin - i haven't directly compared it but is it closer to a 1lb cut of shellac than the 3 lb cut. I use a Fuji HVLP and need to use the 1mm nozzle for it.

Roger