PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 14" deluxe bandsaw

Rick Huelsbeck
02-14-2010, 9:07 AM
Woodcraft is giving 10% off Powermatic, Jet and Rikon, got $80 off in case you did not know. After I got it together and after spending the money for a timberwolf blade, I found it had bow in the blade that you can visibly see :mad:. When I did a search on goggle I'm not the first one with this problem. put the original blade on it and you can here a tick when it was running. Put my finger on the back of the blade while moving it by hand and found a small bump on the blade, filed that down and now it's running quite, smooth and I'm happy :D I do hate the fence, it's bowed where the re-saw guide sits. I've read this is a common problem.:( Now the question, do I hope they can get me a straihgt one or get a Kreg while it's on sale right now? The micro adjust blade guides I'm used to, have the same thing on a Craftsman 12". I'd heard the Rikon and Craftsman were similar, well I'm convinced they are made in the same factory. Same tool holder, blade allignment looks exactly the same too. Definitly a big difference in the way it works though :D

Scott Rollins
02-14-2010, 10:30 AM
I put the kreg fence on my rikon. You will have to drill some holes for attachment screws and remove the entire bracket every time you change blades. Other than that the Kreg fence is perfect. Easy adjustment for blade drift, microadjustment, t-tracks for stops. The OEM fence has none of this and adjusting for blade drift is a real pain.

Jim Dunn
02-14-2010, 10:54 AM
I put the kreg fence on my rikon. You will have to drill some holes for attachment screws and remove the entire bracket every time you change blades.

I mounted my Kreg fence on my Rikon and don't have to remove the fence or any bolts.

There is another picture here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=78866

Jeff Willard
02-14-2010, 3:48 PM
Planning on a significant amount of resawing? Get a Driftmaster. Particularly if you want to saw veneer. I know, I know, it's half again what you paid for the saw. So what? This is a case of the whole becoming greater than the sum of it's parts. It will have a synergistic affect. And you can slap that fence on just about any saw you may upgrade to in the future.

Laguna has offered this fence more than once this year at $100 off. They even had a promo once this year at that price +free shipping.

Van Huskey
02-14-2010, 4:03 PM
Planning on a significant amount of resawing? Get a Driftmaster.

How does the Driftmaster work with a BS who's blade doesn't come out the side of the table? The Rikon's blade comes out the back.

Jeff Willard
02-14-2010, 7:55 PM
The extrusion for the fence itself is easily removed with two ratcheting levers.

Joseph Tarantino
02-14-2010, 8:18 PM
for good blades , contact iturra design in jacksonville , fla. they don't have a website, but lou iturra sells lonox blades adn can really weld band saw blades. and if you need any sort of band saw help, there probably isn't a more knowledgeable person than lou. congrats on the rikon purhcase. it seems to be a well made, feature packed saw.

Rick Huelsbeck
02-15-2010, 12:01 PM
I just ordered the Kreg fence, and I've read that putting the Carter re-saw guides on was well worth it, so I put a set of the toolless micro adjust guides on order. If it wasn't that I wanted the guides I may have gone with the Driftmaster, but that would have really run me over my budget. Boy does Woodcraft love me lately :D