PDA

View Full Version : how to cut rabbett for cabinet back w router

tom coleman
02-14-2010, 4:51 AM
I have already asssembled a shop cabinet. Now I have decided to inset 3/16 peg board into the cabinet back. This cabinet is to be mounted on casters so the back is readilly accessible. Can I cut this rabbett with a handheld router............if yes what bit should I use

If I had thought this through in advance, would it be better to cut the rabbetts on the router table before assembling the case

Alan Tolchinsky
02-14-2010, 5:03 AM
Tom, This shouldn't be a problem. If your sides are 3/4" I'd use a 3/8" rabbet bit and go to 3/16" depth or just a hair deeper. Holding the router steady can be hard but you can just clamp on a 2x4 to help steady it on the board's edge. Also you want to rout in a clock wise direction to keep the router better controlled. Any more questions, just ask away.

Byron Trantham
02-14-2010, 8:32 AM
+1 for 2x4 straight edge.

Joe Scharle
02-14-2010, 8:44 AM
When I cut these away from the router table, I use an edge guide and a large straight bit i.e. 3/4", or a rabbeting bit with a bearing. Large bits allow cleaner cuts as the bit is taking a smaller cut relative to it's size. Edge guides from the vendors have too short of a face and need a longer fence for control at the ends, as well.
On one of my rolling cabs, I also put pegboard on the back. I glued recessed ledger strips to the sides and screwed the pegboard to those.

Jerome Hanby
02-14-2010, 8:59 AM
Since pegboard isn't the toughest stuff in the world and I assume you are going to be placing and moving pegboard fasteners around and hanging tools, would a slot be better than a rabbet? Give it more holding power than staples or whatever holding it into the rabbet from the back.

Rick Lizek
02-14-2010, 9:46 AM
Since it's a shop cabinet I would just screw it on the back of the cabinet. It will keep the cabinet square as well. Quick and simple.

glenn bradley
02-14-2010, 10:34 AM
You don't mention the size of the cabinet. I have set 36" x 36" cabinets on their back on the router table and used a rabbet bit. Success here will depend on how square the cabinet is, how large your RT surface, how heavy the cabinet and all that.

If it is a fairly large cabinet I would lay it face down on a surface that will not damage the front and use an additional board or two to provide a wider surface to steady your router as Alan and Byron mention. A 2 x 4 can often be less than flat or have a good 90* set of faces so either joint it or use better lumber to avoid messing up your router's path.

This is a good place for ply or MDF like so:

Darnell Hagen
02-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Clamp on the auxilliary surface like Glen's, and use a rabbeting bit.

Use three passes, and climb cut, because rabbeting bits tear out like crazy.

You'll need to round the corners of the back, I use a disc sander.