PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 7519 needs repair

Jack Wilson
02-14-2010, 1:40 AM
I just received a pair of Porter Cable 7519's. They were used by a guy in his, I don't know, CNC machine maybe? Regardless, he ground the pins off that locate the motor in the base unit so that he could fit them into his machines cradle. There are 4 pins per router, nice clean grind job, he didn't butcher the motor housings, but I would like to replace what appear to be pressed in pins. Any ideas on how to wisely go about this?

Thanks

Steve Vaughn
02-14-2010, 1:44 AM
Can you knock out whats left in the case with a drift punch and re-press new pins in? McMaster or someone like that would probably have the pin material.

Steve

mickey cassiba
02-14-2010, 9:29 AM
You will need to remove the motor from the barrel to do this. If not, the end of the pins will be pushed into the field. It isn't a hard job, but it is a complete dis assembly. The pins are cheap though. .91 each from DeWalt. I've done this before...not hard, just tedious.remember to make a reference mark on the field and barrel and completely smooth the inside surface of the barrel after setting the new pins or you could have problems with re-assembly.
Good Luck
Mick.

Jack Wilson
02-14-2010, 9:53 AM
Ok, I didn't know that the pins could be driven through. I thought they were set into drilled recesses, but not into thru holes. Disasembly does not look difficult, hope I am right about that. It looks like removing 7 screws will allow the motor housing to slide right off.

John McClanahan
02-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Sounds like they were used for a CNC to me. I notched my mount so I wouldn't have to grind the pins off.

The motors probably have a lot of hours on them as a result. You might want to check the brushes and bearings while you have them apart.

John

Chip Lindley
02-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Jack, please reference this newer thread for disassembly of your 7519. There is a little more to it than just 7 screws.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132913