PDA

View Full Version : Good bandsaw books

Fred Perreault
02-13-2010, 8:56 PM
I just traded up (today...!) from my 20 year old Delta 14" BS for a new Rikon 10-325 14" BS. I am excited about it and have to assemble and tune it up now. I was wondering what the Creeksters' consensus is for good bandsaw books? I have experience with my old saw, for smaller projects and a few years of cutting my bowl blanks. I want to get into resawing and processing more of my turning stock, and resaw some of the thicker planks I have.
Any reading suggestions would be appreciated,
F.P.

Jim Rimmer
02-13-2010, 9:50 PM
I asked this question a while back and can't find the post with the replies. But the overwhelming most popular suggetion was the book by Mark Duginske. Amazon has 2 listed - one written in 1989 and one writtern in 2007. When I buy, I'm going to order the 2007 edition. The '89 is the Bandsaw Handbook and the '07 is Everything You Need to Know About the Most Important Saw in the Shop.

Neil Brooks
02-13-2010, 10:00 PM
http://www.codesmiths.com/shed/books/covers/0806963980_lrg.gif

Great book.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2010, 10:09 PM
I'll argue with Neil.

I like The New Complete Guide to the Band Saw: Everything You Need to Know About the Most Important Saw in the Shop by Mark Duginske.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Complete-Guide-Band-Saw/dp/1565233182/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266114337&sr=1-1

$13.57

Cheap! I paid $22 for the first one from the publisher.

I loaned mine out and it didn't come home. I bought it again. Fantastic reference!

Ben Rivenbark
02-13-2010, 10:19 PM
It's not the entire book, but quite a good sized chunk of it is on Google Books available as a limited preview.

Almost all of the stuff about setup, guides, etc are in the preview. It gives you a good feel for what the book is like, and you can pull the trigger on Amazon if you like what you see.

Here's the preview:

http://books.google.com/books?id=aeM7uIFQav8C&pg=PR4&dq=mark+duginske+bandsaw+books&client=firefox-a&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Fred Perreault
02-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Thank ya'll for the replies. I am going for Lonnie Birds' earlier book, and Duginskes' latest book. When one has a question, the Creek is the place for informed answers and/or suggestions. I believe that I have benefitted more from the Creek in the past 12 months, than I have from all the practice and mistakes I have made in the past 10 years. Their is help and inspiration from Sawmill Creek members. And the moderators and web master(s) do a bang up job. I also notice a higher number of viewers at any given time. Has the membership exploded the past few months?
Thanks,
F.P.

Neil Brooks
02-13-2010, 10:46 PM
I'll argue with Neil.

You'll get no argument, here ;)

I have two or three Duginske books. I think they're all exceptionally smart, clearly organized, and really user friendly.

BTW: I found them all used, through various online sources (eg, abebooks.com).

George Sanders
02-14-2010, 8:35 AM
The explosion of users as you call it; is probably because this site is one of the most civil on the net. The absense of ranters and ravers is due to the fact that the moderators don't allow them. :)

I have Kenneth Burton's book: Cutting Edge Bandsaw Tips and Tricks. It is comprehensive and even has some projects.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-14-2010, 11:44 AM
The explosion of users as you call it; is probably because this site is one of the most civil on the net. The absense of ranters and ravers is due to the fact that the moderators don't allow them. :)

+1
Sorry for taking htis thread off the subject, but I couldn't agree more. This is THE BEST forum I have found. EVER!

I guess I'll visit Amazon for the book. Is it on the SMC list so they get a cut?