PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw tilt backlash

Guy Pegues
02-13-2010, 8:39 PM
I have some questions about backlash in the blade tilt action on my unisaw. I know some is required just to be able to turn the handle, but it seems like I have a lot of "slop".
1) How much backlash (slop) is acceptable?
2) Is there any way to adjust the backlash other than mixing and matching front tunnion(s) to tilt shaft worm gear(s) until finding the right set?
3) Are there any better washers to use instead of Delta's fiber washers between the collar, front bracket casting, and the worm gear?
4) Does the motor weight counteract the slop enough to maintain accuracy at blade settings other than 0 and 45 degrees?

Thanks for your comments,
Guy

glenn bradley
02-13-2010, 8:56 PM
My hybrid saw (and I am sure others) has an adjustment for backlash. It is a variable eccentric sleeve that houses the handle driven shaft. Your manual should have instructions for this adjustment if it is present. As you say, if I try to get too much action out of the mechanism, movement becomes restricted. I do rely on the weight of the motor and trunnion assembly to control this until I lock the carriage. I will normally go past the point I am after and return under the weight of the motor/trunnions to the point I want. Once adjusted, I lock the trunnions and away I go.

David Christopher
02-13-2010, 9:11 PM
Guy, on the uni's you have a plastic washer between the tilt handwheel and the cabinet and if it is worn or missing you will have alot of slop

Bruce King
02-13-2010, 10:18 PM
I don't see a way to adjust the slop at the worm gears when reversing directions. My North State has the same thing but I never noticed it until working on it recently. I would think that if you put enough side force on the blade to make the backlash occur while cutting you will have worse issues to deal with anyway.