PDA

View Full Version : Using LV Twin Screw vise as a leg vise

James Baker SD
02-13-2010, 8:27 PM
Has anyone ever mounted a Lee Valley Twin Screw vise vertically as leg vise, somewhat similar to the leg vise on a Robou bench? Does anyone see a reason this could not be done? Thanks.

James

Darnell Hagen
02-13-2010, 8:38 PM
Mine isn't vertical, but my master screw is closer to the centre of my vise than the end. I disengage the slave screw when I clamp beside the master screw, and it acts like a horizontal leg vise. It clamps down with some pretty extreme pressure, I can get a lot of leverage. I've often thought if I was to use a leg vise, it would be a vertical twin screw. It would be like a leg vise with an automatic support.

You're on the right track.

jerry nazard
02-13-2010, 9:22 PM
There was an extended thread on WoodNet some time back that I believe discussed this topic.

george wilson
02-13-2010, 11:04 PM
There have been leg vises made with devices to keep the jaws parallel in past years. Sounds like a good idea if there isn't much "slop" in the twin screws.

Eric Brown
02-14-2010, 6:55 PM
James a few little concerns. First you might consider making a cover for the lower screw to help keep it clean. Second, you will need to keep the chain tension tight enough so the chain doesn't try to drop off the bottom sprocket and jamb. Third, I tend to use both handles when tightening and loosening using only the speed handle once loose. Doing this lessens the wear on the chain and sprockets. You might send Rob Lee a note and ask. He should be able to tell you more.

Eric