PDA

View Full Version : Opinion needed

Brian Greb
02-13-2010, 6:45 PM
I just turned my first truly successful box... My last one is a bowl and plate now. I need some opinions on it what do you think? It's made out of, Mesquite, maple, pomele sapele, and Spanish cedar... and is 7.25" in dia and 4.4" tall.

Also i got sucked in to segmented turning and here are my first 2 attempts... both blood-wood and maple one is 5.5"X3 the other is 6.25"X4... I don't really like the shapes but they are my first so I have plenty of room for improvement.

Steve Schlumpf
02-13-2010, 6:51 PM
Interesting designs Brian! Really like the bowl on the left in the last photo! That's cool!

Nice looking box also! Really like the color of the Mesquite and the way it contrasts with the Maple!

Nice work!

Dick Sowa
02-13-2010, 7:00 PM
Uh oh...you are doomed! You think turning is a vortex? Segmenting will suck you in even worse!

Excellent work! The coolest thing about segmented turning, is that you can design a vessel to any imaginable shape, without being restricted to the size of a bowl blank.

David E Keller
02-13-2010, 7:50 PM
Nice all around... I also like the shape on the segmented bowl on the left of the last photo.

I think I might like a bit of detail in the knob on the box otherwise nothing but positives.

George Morris
02-13-2010, 7:57 PM
They are some very nice turnings. I am not a big segmented fan but yours are very good! G

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2010, 8:29 PM
Uh-Oh. Now you did it. Sucked in big time.:cool::rolleyes:;) The turnings are nicely done. I do like the box.

Roland Martin
02-13-2010, 9:10 PM
I really like the box, the colors go very well together, the shape is great and like David, maybe a bit more detail in the knob would be in order. Don't get me wrong though, I do really like this box. The form on the left bowl is very nice, as is the color combination. Very nice work Brian.

James Roberts
02-13-2010, 9:29 PM
Nice work on the segmented bowls, especially the one on the left. The box is very interesting also. Creative mixture of woods and orientation of the pieces. D'you hear that sucking sound? That's your free time getting pulled into your lathe one segment at a time...

Baxter Smith
02-13-2010, 9:43 PM
Will agree with the others on the knob. Too plain to fit well. Pretty combination of woods in the bowls. Really like them when viewed from above.

Eric Kosanovich
02-13-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm with Baxter. Try a segmented knob see how that would look.
other than that thay look great.

John Keeton
02-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Nice work! I do agree with the consensus on the knob - needs to be segmented in some fashion, and the first of the two bowls is the most attractive. Both are well done, however.

I haven't been drawn in to the segmenting, but it looks like it could be fun.

Donny Lawson
02-14-2010, 12:26 AM
I think they all are nice pieces.I hope to accomplish something like that one of these days.
Donny