PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to watch commercials....

Mitchell Andrus
02-13-2010, 5:02 PM
... but they keep showing Olympics stuff. The ratio has got to be 50/50.

I'm gonna have to Tivo and put new batteries in the remote.

Chris Kennedy
02-13-2010, 6:02 PM
This is a large part of why I stopped watching the Olympics. I miss the days when I lived in Michigan, and we could pick up the CBC broadcast. It was far superior.

Cheers,

Chris

Joe Pelonio
02-13-2010, 7:44 PM
This is a large part of why I stopped watching the Olympics. I miss the days when I lived in Michigan, and we could pick up the CBC broadcast. It was far superior.

Cheers,

Chris
We have watched on CBC for many years, and still get the channel, but the exclusive contract in Canada went to CTV this time, and they are not available at all in the US.:mad:

Brian Elfert
02-14-2010, 6:40 PM
One of the problems with the Olympics is they seem to think the TV coverage in the United States should pay for a significant part of the cost of staging the Olympics. NBC is paying $820 million for the rights to broadcast the 2010 Olympics. The USA pays 60% of all the fees the Olympics collect from TV networks world wide. Canadian networks don't pay nearly so much so they don't run as many commercials.

Part of this is the USA networks' fault as I believe they bid against each for the right to broadcast the Olympics.

NBC runs so many commercials because they need to pay the bills. NBC has said they will lose money on the Olympics for the first time in many years. The price to broadcast the Olympics was set in much better economic times for the TV networks.

What I hate about the coverage is all the time spent interviewing USA athlets and so on. We are lucky to see actual sports coverage for more than 15 to 20 minutes an hour. Commercials are a huge issue with every sport due to the vast sums the networks give to the sports organizations.