PDA

View Full Version : Snow in College Station, Tx

Tom Winship
02-13-2010, 4:57 PM
Yesterday evening on the news, there was a great to do about the snowfall on Thursday evening. They showed pictures of the snow falling, building up in parking lots and on cars. Problem was, we didn't look outside before going to bed. It started at 9:30 and was melted by 10:00. I thought our cats (who stay in the gargage at nite) were mad yesterday. Now I understand why; we didn't let them out to play.

Tom

Jim Rimmer
02-13-2010, 10:10 PM
I lived many years in the Dallas area and two years in Iowa. No in the Houston area I laugh when I hear the news/weather reporters getting all excited that it's going to be below freezing for two - four hours. "Yikes, bring in the pets, wrap the pipes, stock up on food!!!"

Ernie Nyvall
02-13-2010, 10:50 PM
I went through College Station last year when there was a snow storm. It was during the night when it was coming down hard. There was an accident on Hwy 6 so they detoured us down some back road. It was almost all gone the next day when I came back through, but I couldn't believe how hard it was coming down for that area. It was actually building up on and under my windshield wipers so that I had to stop and beat it off of them. I drive an 18 wheeler, so I've been through worse, but I'll have to say that it was blizzard conditions for College Station and just as miserable to drive through as any.

Tom Winship
02-13-2010, 11:28 PM
For all you south Texans. I grew up in Spring just north of Houston. In the late '40's I think, there was snow everywhere for several days. The next time it snowed was in 1960.

Jim Becker
02-14-2010, 9:42 AM
This week marked a very rare event...measurable snow in 49 of the 50 states. Only Hawaii held back apparently...

Jim O'Dell
02-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Jim, I heard that even Hawaii had snow in the upper elevations. May not have been fresh fallen, but snow none the less.
This is what we got. Officially ended up with 11.5" Very unusual for us.
This is where we were Friday morning. This is looking out the front door. 142004 This is my shop. 142003 And this is how far I got before getting stuck at 7:25. :o:o 142002 At 10:00, I tried again. Took 20 minutes to get back into the parking spot in front of the garage. Decided to try backing up all the way to the main street. That worked fine and I was able to get to work.
Still have a lot on the rooftops this morning. Most of the yard, about 75%, is melted off. Possibility of horizontal flurries this afternoon as a front comes through. :confused: Will probably be mostly rain. Jim.