PDA

View Full Version : Turning

Cam.Hedrick
03-30-2003, 11:27 PM
I was just sitting here playing with one of the Russian nesting dolls that my 10 yr old daughter just got from her Russian tutor(native Russian). These things are fabulous and must have been very difficult to make before CNC lathes. I doubt this one was hand made, but what do I know.
My question is: Has anyone ever tried to make one of these with a small pen turning lathe? If so, please post pics to share with us, I'm interested in trying this out someday, but don't have a small enough lathe in my shop....at least I don't think it can be done on my Vega lathes.

Howard Barlow
03-30-2003, 11:50 PM
I go to Russia 2-3 times a year. We have lots of those matroshkas. We buy most of ours at the Ishmailova market in Moscow.

They range from $2-3 up to $600. You can also buy the unpainted sets. I was looking at the $600 a week ago. The guy held one of the pieces up to the sunlight. This piece was about 8" tall. From the inside, you could "see" sunlight through the wood, they are so thin.

If you want to see detail, you should see the little boxes they make. They will be from match box size up to cigar box. Some of them are little pieces if furniture. Drawers and lids open. The handpainting is phenomenal on some. How about $300-$400?

Next time I go I'll get pics of some. Overall, the artistic ability of some of those folks is unbelievable.

I watched as a carpenter took a hatchet to some 3", I mean 76.2mm, posts and made structural mortise and tenon for framing a wall. The freehand chopping fit was equal to anything we can do with a saw.

Charles Bjorgen
03-31-2003, 10:52 AM
Cam -- The American Woodturner magazine, AAW's journal, published an article about Matroshka nesting dolls in the Spring 2001 issue. A quote from the journal: "The Russian Matroshka turner is as near a turning machine as you will ever see. A doll shaped lidded box takes them about three minutes, lid and base, and the cuts are so smooth, it needs no sanding." The article has lots of good photos of lathes and tools used. The wood of choice seems to be a Russian variety of basswood. The article is by woodturner and woodturning author Gary Roberts.