PDA

View Full Version : What Glue Did Sam Maloof Use?

Andrew Joiner
02-13-2010, 4:02 PM
I have been researching glues for wood chairs. Anyone toured Sam's shop and verified what glues they use?

An old add for Gorilla glue says Sam uses it. Is that true?

Thanks

Mike Henderson
02-13-2010, 4:17 PM
When I toured Sam's place, he had a gallon jug of Titebond I and a gallon of Titebond III on the shelf in his shop. I asked him why the two Titebonds and he replied, "Color".

He glued the laminations for the rockers with Titebond.

Mike

Kerry Lorts
02-13-2010, 4:42 PM
On a video on the woodworkingchannel.com he says that he thinks gorilla glue is the worst glue out there.

-Kerry

Richard Dragin
02-13-2010, 4:54 PM
In the beginning he used white glue, I'm sure Mike is correct about the Titebond. I don't know if I would emulate Sam's methods as he always did things his own way. Titebond II is my "goto" glue for most chair parts but epoxy and it's gap filling properties is excellent for some applications. For Walnut I like the dark Titebond.

Mike Henderson
02-13-2010, 4:58 PM
I'm actually with Richard - I also use epoxy on the most critical joints on chairs.

Mike

Tom Winship
02-13-2010, 5:00 PM
Robert Hensarling in Uvalde uses Sytem III epoxy on his mesquite rockers. No screws. Says he has never had a failure through normal usage.
Tom

Richard Dragin
02-13-2010, 5:33 PM
I'm actually with Richard ........

Mike

Jeez, you make it sound almost painful.;)

Dave Lehnert
02-13-2010, 6:35 PM
On a video on the woodworkingchannel.com he says that he thinks gorilla glue is the worst glue out there.

-Kerry

I guess the ad was correct. Sam did use it. They just forgot to tell you he used it and thought it was junk. :D

Mike Henderson
02-13-2010, 7:06 PM
Jeez, you make it sound almost painful.;)

Sorry!:)

Mike

Cody Colston
02-13-2010, 9:39 PM
My go-to glue is TB III, just because I occassionally build outdoor pieces and need the waterproof characteristics. I used it to laminate the rockers and back slats on the two Hal Taylor chairs I've made but for the leg-to-seat joints, I used West System epoxy.

Hal Taylor specifically recommends against using Gorilla Glue as he has found the bond to be inconsistent.

Peter Quinn
02-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Gorilla glue for bent laminations? I'll pass thanks. Do you really want to hold bent wood with foam?

I built some 50"X90" carriage house doors to keep the neighborhood cats from pooping on my lumber pile in my crappy garage about 4 years ago. Low budget project. Its an out building and had no doors for some time. I glued one with tite bond, the other with gorilla glue, just to see which failed first. Four years to the weather, doors are built with stub tenons and dowels, I primed them on a 40 degree day and haven't done a darn thing since, no failure to date. Go figure. Either glue is stronger than it needs to be for flat work.

Not sure what takes more abuse, a very large swinging door or a rocker? I bet its the rocker.

Joe Spear
02-14-2010, 1:00 AM
Keep in mind that there is another Gorilla glue now on the market that is not a polyurethane foaming glue. It is similar to the Titebonds and Elmers.

Andrew Gibson
02-14-2010, 1:30 AM
I personally have built 2 rockers. The first I used gorilla glue and the second I went with TB2. I personally think the TB was easier to use and clean up after, and I don't have a problem with either chair. There is one loose joint in the Guerilla chair however.

I don't think the Gorilla Glue lends any benefit over TB and I think the mess it makes is not worth the trouble. Every Time I have done a joint strength test I have found that TB is stronger then the surrounding wood, and even on small joints causes splintering at the joint when it actually breaks there... usually causing long grain to be stuck to end grain when the grain is in that orientation.

I think proper Joinery is more important then the glue itself.