PDA

View Full Version : How loud is your PC 7518?

Michael Drew
02-13-2010, 1:29 PM
I just finished up a new router table top and bought the 7518 motor to use with Woodcraft’s quick lift. My previous table motor was a Hitachi 12MV plunge router. The Hitachi was very quiet in comparison to the 7518. So much so, I think the 7518 may have a bad bearing. Before I call up Woodcraft, I wanted to post this question to see if the motor is just loud, or mine is bad.

Chris Tsutsui
02-13-2010, 2:25 PM
I have both of those routers. The PC router should only be a little louder than the Hitachi.

If it's significantly louder under no load then there might be an issue.

Callan Campbell
02-13-2010, 6:27 PM
I have to agree with Chris, my 7518 is pretty quiet, and it's mounted in a Bench Dog Cabinet. Doesn't get really noisy with the door open and the router running either. Or I'm going deaf and don't know it yet:rolleyes:
I'd take it back and have someone open another one out of a box so you have some really similar to compare,side by side. That might be a deal breaker for you if they both seem too loud.

Michael Drew
02-13-2010, 7:37 PM
It’s definitely much louder than my 12MV. I bought it from Woodcraft, so I can’t really compare it with another. I do have an sound pressure meter I use for calibrating my audio gear. I can, if needed, measure both. It took me by surprise when I initially ran it.

Chris Tsutsui
02-13-2010, 8:02 PM
If it comes down to it and you post your SPL measurement, Remember to specify "c" weighted, slow setting, and the distance to the router the meter is. (Like 1 yard away)

Michael Drew
02-13-2010, 9:49 PM
Hey, you sound like an audiophile.... Are you a multi hobbiest too? :D

Chip Lindley
02-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Noise of my PC 7518 is not objectionable, considering how powerful it is. It's noise level reminds me of my first shop vac! If yours has no vibration, it should be operating normally.

Back in the 70's I bought an *On Sale* Craftsman 1.5hp router which should have self destructed from vibration! It was poorly designed and poorly manufactured. The arbor had so much runout that I could barely use it. When I finally got my hands on a Porter Cable router, I never looked back!

Byron Trantham
02-14-2010, 8:44 AM
There are two tools in my shop that absolutely require the use of ear muffs - my DeWalt 13" thickness planner and my table mounter PC router. I have had my router for years and it works great so I know there aren't any mechanical problems - it's just louder than I want to hear (without muffs). :mad:

Ken Shoemaker
02-14-2010, 8:55 AM
I think my PC is deafening.... I put it in a BenchDog saw extension wing and immediately built a box around it to quiet it down, and dust collection too. Ear protection is still a must though.

Just going on record that I personally would not want anything else. The PC is a horse!!!

Van Huskey
02-14-2010, 2:27 PM
If it comes down to it and you post your SPL measurement, Remember to specify "c" weighted, slow setting, and the distance to the router the meter is. (Like 1 yard away)

+1 grab a Rat Shack analog SPL meter: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103668
If you have a camera tripod it has a tripod mount.

It might sound like overkill but they are more useful than most would imagine in a shop. If you have ANY interest in home theater or even venerable two channel audio it can do double duty.

Michael Drew
02-14-2010, 3:42 PM
The digital Radio Shack meter is the one I use. I measured three different routers with the meter 36” away from each. I set the meter to C weight and slow response. Routers set to their highest speed.

PC 7518 – 101 DB
Hitachi M12V – 95 DB
PC 690 – 96 DB