PDA

View Full Version : Design copy, or origonal work?

dan sherman
02-13-2010, 1:08 PM
I'm not sure were to post this, so mods please fell free to move it if you think a different forum is more appropriate.

I'm currently in the middle of a router table build, that I'm documenting on my blog. Iv'e received a few requests for my plans, but they are based on the NYW deluxe plans. Mine have the same overall dimensions, and layout as NYW version, but deviate significantly when it comes to details. For example, almost all the individual components are of slightly different dimensions. Additionally, I chose to use different joinery methods than Norm in several places.

So I guess the thing I'm agonizing over and want to get some input on, is what signifies an original work vs. a copy? Personally I consider my plans an original work, as I spent several hours making them, and by several I mean 20 or 30. However my opinion doesn't matter when it comes to the letter of the law.

Opinions please???????

here is a screen shot of my design.
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1143/routertable.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/i/routertable.jpg/)

Karl Card
02-13-2010, 1:15 PM
shades of gray suck.. What I mean is that there seems to always be kind of an unchartered area in that particular law. How does a person define copy, own design etc. What if a person designed a router table that was 3 differetn company designs put into one and you could look at the table and see those three designs...ugh... so no i dont have an answer but feel your issue.

Darnell Hagen
02-13-2010, 3:06 PM
There's nothing new under the sun, I'm pretty sure everything could be considered a ripoff in one way or another, wether or not the designer knows or is concious about it.

As long as your not copying directly I can't see how you'd get in trouble. Especially if you aren't charging for the design.

That said, I'm no lawyer.

Richard Dragin
02-13-2010, 4:49 PM
Are you going to sell them or give them away? People in these forums get all high and mighty about moral issues of copy write and there is a lot of wannabe lawyers who will chime in as well. I have yet to see a thread in any forum where there was actually a lawsuit or any legal action based on sharing, copying or reproducing plans for use by a few members for little or no money. Morally is up to the individual but if you drew it and modified it, do what you want because it belongs to you.

Mike McCann
02-13-2010, 5:16 PM
looking at your drawing and a picture of the new yankee workshop router table they look identical.

Jamie Buxton
02-13-2010, 5:47 PM
I'd tell the requestors just what you said: you based your workstation on the NYW plans, and give the requestors a link to the NYW site.

dan sherman
02-13-2010, 5:54 PM
Are you going to sell them or give them away? I'd be giving them away.

looking at your drawing and a picture of the new yankee workshop router table they look identical. that's the thing, they look the same, and have the same general dimensions but everything else is different.

I'd tell the requestors just what you said: you based your workstation on the NYW plans, and give the requestors a link to the NYW site.
I did that when I first started, but I'm still getting requests.

mike holden
02-13-2010, 6:20 PM
Dan,
Lots of people dont read, they just request plans.
I have had requests for plans for projects I have shown off here, and no matter how polite the response I give, that I do NOT have plans (I work kinda free form), they get huffy.
Oh Well, it is just the nature of the internet beast.

Try and let the persistent ones roll off your back as it were and ignore them.

Best,
Mike

Kent A Bathurst
02-13-2010, 7:31 PM

Yeah, I guess I would also - detail out some "upgrades" or "enhancements" you did.

Tony Bilello
02-13-2010, 8:01 PM
There's nothing new under the sun, I'm pretty sure everything could be considered a ripoff in one way or another, wether or not the designer knows or is concious about it.
As long as your not copying directly I can't see how you'd get in trouble. Especially if you aren't charging for the design.
That said, I'm no lawyer.

I agree with Darnell. Nothing is original. I dont ever worry about it.

glenn bradley
02-13-2010, 9:03 PM
I'm with Jamie. Just to be safe, say it is based on the NYWS table and discuss the modifications you made to make it more like what you want. Odds are that the things you changed are not going to be exactly what the next guy wants and he will modify it to meet his needs better.

Richard Dragin
02-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Anyone who get's huffy about requesting plans will certainly blame you when it doesn't turn out the way they expected.

Jim Becker
02-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Why not just refer folks to the original NYW plans and give them a list of the modifications you did? That keeps it simple and in no way even approaches anything questionable...

Tony Shea
02-14-2010, 10:59 AM
If you're really interested in giving a few people your plans, which IMHO isn't infringing on any legal issues, then I would do it behind closed doors. I wouldn't post it on a blog or where everyone could see. I'd ask for email addresses and do it that way. Not that I think you would end up in legal trouble at all in either case. But it is up to you how you want to treat it.

dan sherman
02-14-2010, 7:22 PM
Thanks for the input everyone, I'll continue pointing everyone to the NYW website.