PDA

View Full Version : plastic resin glue

John Grabowski
02-13-2010, 10:52 AM
does Home Depot carry the slow setting plastic resin glue? what name can I ask for it? thanks...i know this is already here, I am on my mobile b/c power is out from many storms and its hard to do a search on this little thing.JohnG

Frank Drew
02-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Look for Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue.

Rich Enders
02-13-2010, 11:25 AM
I have never found a BORG that carries any of the brands. I am told that Ace carries small containers of the Weldwood, and I know that Rockler handles resourcinol. I ordered the Unibond on line.

A side note is that I recently had a problem with Unibond. I glued up two bench seats out of white oak slats. One with Weldwood, and one with Unibond 800. The procedures were the same, but the Unibond seat is coming apart.

Both products were stored in my garage over a summer, but Unibond says theirs is still good as long as it is not too thick to spread easily.

At this point I prefer Weldwood because it is precatalized, and mixes easier.

peter kolb
02-13-2010, 12:32 PM
I would love to find a vendor that sells
this stuff whit some assurances that
it is fresh. I recently bought some
via Amazon and it was 2 years old.
Peter

Howard Acheson
02-13-2010, 1:21 PM
I would love to find a vendor that sells
this stuff whit some assurances that
it is fresh. I recently bought some
via Amazon and it was 2 years old.
Peter

The containers that I have gotten from Jamestown Distributors have always had a current date.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/

Mac McQuinn
02-13-2010, 3:54 PM
Check with marine supply houses, Weldwood was/is popular with the boat building crowd.

Mac

Aaron Hastings
02-13-2010, 4:02 PM
Urac 185 from Highland. It's likely to be new since I turnover their supply.;)

John Grabowski
02-14-2010, 2:23 AM
Thanks guys...I appreciate the info...I went to ACE and BORG today and neither place had any...I guess I will be ordering from the INTERNET tomorrow...hope they have some :D

John G

jim gossage
02-14-2010, 10:44 AM
I like the powdered stuff. Just add water, mix, and you're good to go. I would guess that the powder stays good forever. And its cheap.

Dan West02
02-14-2010, 12:23 PM
I use the Dap Weldwood plastic resin glue on my cutting boards (have made over 50). My local Ace stock is out of date so I don't buy there. I did just buy a 4 1/2 lb. container from Amazon and according to the date code, it was made in late Oct. 2009, so it will be good for some time. I have purchased from Amazon several times and all have had good dates.

By the way, there is a date code on a sticker (usally stuck to the lid) that has a four digit code. An example would be 8135. The 8 means it was made in 2008 and the 135 means the 135th day of the year (May 15). Dap's website says the glue has a shelf life of at least one year. It will probably be longer than that if not exposed to a lot of moisture, but I try to use mine up within that year. I have used some that were 14-15 months old with good results, so I don't know how long you can stretch it.

Paul Murphy
02-14-2010, 1:38 PM
I have read that plastic resin glue should be stored in a dry environment, because any moisture will react with the catlyist and degrade performance. I have heard some guys store theirs in a refrigerator to extend shelf life, and I believe it would. I wrapped mine up in a freezer bag, but it is just in a storage cabinet in the shop. I'm like the rest of you folks, wondering how long I can get away with extending shelf life. I'm afraid to go too far, I hate doing something over. FWIW, Urac 185 literature states 12 mo. storage @ 60F, 6 mo @ 75F, and 3 mo @ 90F.

Howard Acheson
02-14-2010, 3:10 PM
>>> I would guess that the powder stays good forever

Nope, DAP/Weldwood Plastic Resin has a shelf life. It begins deteriorating as soon as you open the top for the first time. I forget what the shelf life is but I know I have discarded some from time to time.

Foras Noir
02-14-2010, 7:53 PM
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/browseproducts/URAC-185-Laminating-Glue--Quart.HTML