PDA

View Full Version : Segmented bowl #2

Brad Vaughn
02-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Well I have been playing with segments of wood.:eek:
The woods are top poplar, then oak and more poplar and pine.

John Keeton
02-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Great use of scrap and glue!! Looks like you dove headfirst into the segmenting vortex - seems to be an evergrowing group!

I know nothing of segmenting, but I have often wondered how the expansion/contraction issues are handled with solid bottoms, etc. Just not sure how all that interacts.

Dick Sowa
02-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Brad...good job! Segmenting is a great way to save wood from the fireplace.

...I have often wondered how the expansion/contraction issues are handled with solid bottoms, etc. Just not sure how all that interacts.

That is one of the most discussed issues with segmented turning. There's no easy solution, and folks have tried a lot of different ways. Even the gurus like Malcolm Tibbetts have experimented for years to come up with ways to prevent problems. If you use a solid bottom, the best advice is to use quarter sawn lumber. Another way, which Malcolm describes in his book, is to include a floating panel as the base...sorta like you do with frame/panel door construction.

Brad Vaughn
02-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Great use of scrap and glue!! Looks like you dove headfirst into the segmenting vortex - seems to be an evergrowing group!

I know nothing of segmenting, but I have often wondered how the expansion/contraction issues are handled with solid bottoms, etc. Just not sure how all that interacts.

Well now I never even considered that they could crack do to the solid bottom
Hmmm Well my first one is holding up so time will tell.

The wood was bought at a Home Depot so it should be very dry.

gary Zimmel
02-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Nice work on the segmented bowl Brad.
Nothing going to waste!

John Keeton
02-13-2010, 12:47 PM
The wood was bought at a Home Depot so it should be very dry.Brad, hopefully there will not be a problem. The issues arise not so much because of moisture content at the time (though that is a factor) but more from radial and tangential expansion and contraction. With opposing grain, this can cause one piece to expand/contract one direction, and the adjoining piece going the other.

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2010, 1:02 PM
Really a nice looking piece. Glue joints look good.

Steve Schlumpf
02-13-2010, 6:36 PM
Well - that puts you 2 ahead of me! Cool design and colors! Looking forward to seeing number 3!