PDA

View Full Version : how do I make a 3 degree wedge

Tom Hassad
02-13-2010, 12:53 AM
I am cutting square bench dog holes into the top of my workbench by running dados along one face of several boards at a 3 degree angle. Soimagine the boards standing on edge and one board will have the dado and the board next to it will not but serves as the 4th wall to the dado'ed board when they are all glued together standing on edge. The alternate boards will be dado'ed at a 3 degree angle to form the square benchdogs.

To achieve this, according to the instructions (essential workbench, FWW) I have to place a wedge that is 3 degrees on my crosscut sled against the fence and just behind the bench top pieces i will dado so that it holds those pieces at a three degree angle relative to the crosscut fence.

I do not know how to make the wedge - the crosscut sled is only about 21 inches across and the wedge will look like a board that is flat against the crosscut fence but tapered. I am guessing I just cut a taper on the board. Is that how I do it? I also not sure how to cut to achieve the 3 degree angle - some geometry solution I suppose I need.

Darnell Hagen
02-13-2010, 1:28 AM
Either use a mitre gauge at 93° to the dado head and use that to guide your board, or attach a second fence to your sled. Fasten the edge closest to the blade, and use a wedge on the far side to shim it out. Use a sliding bevel to judge your angle. Clamp it down and cut away.

James Baker SD
02-13-2010, 1:53 AM
For 3 degrees over a 21" crosscut sled, you need 1.1" at one extreme of the sled and 0" at the other extreme. Maybe try attaching a small block 1.1" thick right at the edge of your sled with double stick tape. Let your bench top board touch the block and the original fence at the other end and you will be close to 3 degrees.

James

Kent A Bathurst
02-13-2010, 9:59 AM
I am cutting square bench dog holes into the top of my workbench by running dados along one face of several boards at a 3 degree angle. Soimagine the boards standing on edge and one board will have the dado and the board next to it will not but serves as the 4th wall to the dado'ed board when they are all glued together standing on edge. The alternate boards will be dado'ed at a 3 degree angle to form the square benchdogs..

Tom - here's how I got the skin off of that same cat: I milled a board to the correct dimensions, then used the CMS to cut it into pieces @ 87* (or 93* ??). Off to the BS to saw the relief for the dog head. These became the filler sections between dog holes, sandwiched between 2 long boards.

For glue-up, I made a couple-three wood pieces the correct dims, wrapped them in packing tape, and used them as spacers-alignment parts for gluing the filler to one of the long table boards. When the full length was done, then the outer board was glued on. Made the entire thing maybbe 1/2" oversize, then TS to bring it back to final dims (if you do this - remember to do the math for the dog head relief DAMHIKT).

Now, I had a "subassembly" if you will, that got glued to the main table.

Same deal but smaller for the tail vise block.

Used a contrasting wood for no particular reason other than I could.

Didn't really want to fool with dadoes in a 60"+ stick, but no reason that wouldn't work just as well - bit of a tradeoff when you consider chiseling v bandsaw for the dog head reliefs.