PDA

View Full Version : Gambel Oak Chickadee House

Curt Fuller
02-12-2010, 11:03 PM
So far, the birdhouses I've turned and hung in my yard have only turned into hornet, wasp, and yellow jacket houses. I don't know if any of the others I've given away or sold have ever actually attracted birds. So this time I decided to research birds and birdhouses a little to see if I could get the chickadees that hang out in my yard to actually nest in one of my birdhouses. This one is made from Gambel Oak, which grows like a weed around here. It's 13.5" tall x 7" diameter. The cavity is 4.5" deep, not counting the hollowed part of the roof, x 3.75" diameter with a 1 1/8" hole. No perch because they supposedly attract predators. No finish on the inside, minwax spar urethane on the outside. Twisted copper wire eye hangar. Taking bets on residency;).

John Keeton
02-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Pretty neat, Curt!! Is that turned from branch wood? Just wondering what the dark area is on the roof portion - pith? Really gives it a sort of Bavarian look!

So, is Gambel oak a scrub oak?

Curt Fuller
02-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Yes, Gambel Oak is what we call scrub oak around here. It can get bigger but it's a slow grower so you don't see it very often over about 16" diameter. The dark area is some punky, partially rotten pith that was in the center of one log I cut. The darker area in the hangy down part of the bottom section is the normal color of the heartwood. These pieces are from the main trunk.

Bill Bolen
02-12-2010, 11:45 PM
cool Curt. Hope you get some house gurest there. I know our chickidees are gonna be jealous of that luxury condo...Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2010, 12:29 AM
Really cool Curt. I do like that wood. Hope you get residents this year.

Steve Schlumpf
02-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Love the imagination Curt! Nice size and looks like you've done your research as far as the size of the opening and lack of perch! Hope this one attracts some nesters!

David E Keller
02-13-2010, 2:14 AM
That's a cool birdhouse. I love the way the colored heartwood seems to drip down the roof.