PDA

View Full Version : Magnetism has always amazed me as much as the fact that a 737 can fly

Bob Borzelleri
02-12-2010, 10:45 PM
But I was a bit surprised when the used 1/2" oval skew I bought today clanked up against my 1" oval skew. 1/2" Henry Taylor wants to snug up to anything it can. Doubting that this is a design feature, I'm wondering if laying a tool on a headstock, near the motor will make it fly. No wait, I mean will it magnetize it?

Nathan Hawkes
02-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Running a current through steel can magnetize it to a degree. Also, being in contact with a strong magnet can magnetize it. I have a magnetic tool strip that has magnetized several tools. I now only put a few things on it that dont really matter about sticking to the tool rest. I found that its really really important if the tool becomes magnetized to make sure that the tool rest is completely smooth, and that its covered in wax to ensure that tools will slide across its length instead of stick to it.

Tony Pridmore
02-12-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm eager to hear thoughts on this. Several of my tools have become magnetized and I haven't determined how. They have never been hung from a magnetic strip.

The current leading theory is rare earth magnets in my Tormek water tray magnetized small metal shavings stuck in the wheel and sharpening on the wheel has magnetized the turning tools. The water tray is often left in place with the wheel in close proximity to the magnets. However, this theory seems pretty weak.

Maybe you are onto something. I frequently lay tools on the lathe bed by the motor. Also there are about four 3/4" rare earth magnets on the lathe where chuck keys, allen keys, etc. hang. None are close to where the tools lay when they're on the bed.

Regardless, [for me] knowing how to demagnetize is more important than determining how they became magnetized. I tried one of the Harbor Freight demagnetizers (http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=demagnetizer&Submit=Go). That was a waste of time.

-Tony

Richard Coers
02-13-2010, 12:12 AM
I tried to find some reference to this, but I think that steel can become magnetized by grinding. I found this reference to knife making; "By grinding and sharpening it is possible to induce some modification in the ferromagnetic structure of the knife and it becomes "magnetic".

Jim Rimmer
02-13-2010, 10:32 PM
I didn't google any answers but just going by memory from metal classes and electronics a long time ago. Stroking ferrous metal in one direction (sharpening) can align the molecules and cause magnetism. I wouldn't think that this magnetism effect would be very strong. Maybe check the magnetic effect before and after sharpening.

The electrical field around the motor could cause the tool to become magnetized but (and this is just me thinking) wouldn't an alternating current negate the magnetizing effect on each cycle of the current?

Supposedly, a sharp rap on the tool with a hammer would jumble the molecules and demagnetize. Don't know for sure and I personally don't want to go banging around on my tools with a hammer.

Jim Underwood
02-13-2010, 10:37 PM
My dad always used a soldering gun for demagnetizing stuff. You just hold the tool inside the loop of the tip I believe.

Bob Borzelleri
02-13-2010, 11:43 PM
The previous owner of the skew sent me an email and answered the question. It used to live on a magnetic strip on the wall.

Dan Forman
02-14-2010, 3:38 AM
I bought a heavy scraper by Sorby, found it was magnetized and returned it to Woodcraft. I had also gotten a magnetic featherboard at the same time, and they thought maybe that had magnetized it on the way home. So I grabbed another scraper off the shelf, and sure enough, it was magnetized too, we checked it right there with a screw. So it must be something with the grinding process that does it. But it doesn't happen with every tool, I think I only have one or that have a magnetic charge. No idea why it should be so selective.

Dan