PDA

View Full Version : Mobile base recommendations

Jon Canfield
02-12-2010, 9:16 PM
My saw arrived today, and I'm definitely going to need a mobile base for this. Any suggestions? I've seen mixed reviews for both the HTC and ShopFox bases. I need to support about 500 lbs.

I do have a spare set of Rockler casters, but I'm guessing this isn't going to be what I should use.

Thanks,
Jon

Van Huskey
02-12-2010, 9:27 PM
My saw arrived today, and I'm definitely going to need a mobile base for this. Any suggestions? I've seen mixed reviews for both the HTC and ShopFox bases. I need to support about 500 lbs.

I do have a spare set of Rockler casters, but I'm guessing this isn't going to be what I should use.

Thanks,
Jon

Although a little expensive I really like the Rockler all terrain base it is the easiest base to move around particularly if the floor is not level or perfectly smooth.

Neil Brooks
02-12-2010, 9:28 PM
I'm quite eager to see the responses your post generates.

I've got two sets of casters (2 locking, 2 swivel), and have been leaning toward making my own (reinforced) plywood bases, and simply mounting the casters on them.

I noticed that my brother has a couple of his tools on simple furniture dollies -- probably the ones that HF sells. He seems pretty darned happy with them....

Cary Falk
02-12-2010, 9:50 PM

Thanks,
Jon

Why not? These are from Woodcraft but probably same difference.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0381.jpg

jim gossage
02-12-2010, 10:51 PM
I just built a Rockler base for my 550 pound sander. It is very sturdy, moves smoothly, and the optional caster works very well to lift or lower the base to move around. The hardware is high quality, but you have to supply the wood.

Jim O'Dell
02-12-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm in the process of building a base for my new TS. I'm using 4 swivel casters from Grizzly. They are super heavy duty (550 lbs capacity each) and are only about 40 bucks for the set. Can't tell you how well it will all work though. Give me a few more weeks. It would be done if the weather hadn't been so cold! Jim.

Harry Hagan
02-13-2010, 1:07 PM
http://www.hoverbench.com/

Bernhard Lampert
02-13-2010, 2:55 PM
I have most of my stationary tools mounted on leveling casters (Zambus and Carrymaster). Most floors are not perfectly level and most other rollers/casters/bases are not adjustable resulting in an unstable tool. In addition most caster breaks are pretty poor and allow too much movement and that can be dangerous and/or mess up a workpiece.
The leveling casters can be adjusted to level the equipment and lift the equipment of the floor for stability.
(http://www.mjvail.com/carrymaster.htm and zambus.com )

Cheers,
Bernhard

Jason White
02-13-2010, 6:24 PM
Why not? Works great for me!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1103331

Thanks,
Jon

john snowdon
02-13-2010, 7:52 PM
I bought the Jet mobile base to go with my new J/P. It took about 5 minutes to assemble, I feel is better made than the Grizzly base I bought for my BS and holds over 500 pounds. I do wish the wheels were a bit larger but it moves about the shop well and all of the wheels lock.

John

Steven DeMars
02-14-2010, 12:31 AM
I bought the Jet mobile base to go with my new J/P. It took about 5 minutes to assemble, I feel is better made than the Grizzly base I bought for my BS and holds over 500 pounds. I do wish the wheels were a bit larger but it moves about the shop well and all of the wheels lock.

John

Nice stand . . . .

I have the same JET 12" J/P as you. I built my mobile stand. It looks like the JET stand is very similar to mine except that mine has four swivel wheels with leveling pads and a large foot off the rear. (Great Lakes ZAMBUS style)

Just curious, how did you get your J/P on to the stand . . . I lifted with an engine lift and rolled the stand under it . . .

Steve :)

tom coleman
02-14-2010, 4:44 AM
i used shop fox base on Sears 22124 hybrid saw weighing 400 lbs. o problems. Also no need to lock the wheels as the saw is so heavy it is pretty stable w/o locking wheels

john snowdon
02-14-2010, 2:52 PM
Nice stand . . . .

I have the same JET 12" J/P as you. I built my mobile stand. It looks like the JET stand is very similar to mine except that mine has four swivel wheels with leveling pads and a large foot off the rear. (Great Lakes ZAMBUS style)

Just curious, how did you get your J/P on to the stand . . . I lifted with an engine lift and rolled the stand under it . . .

Steve :)

Hi, Steve.

I tilted the stand as far forward as I could, had my wife roll the stand as far under it as it would go and then slid the stand into final position. I couldn't believe how easy it actually went, especially after fretting about it from 3:00AM - 5:00AM instead of sleeping. Getting the unit into the basement was another issue...2 movers with big backs! Free shipping from MN to my garage, $150 to go the 40' from the garage, thru the bulkhead and into the basement.

Enjoy it safely. I love mine.

John

Jon Canfield
02-14-2010, 9:36 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I like the looks of the Rockler and the Jet bases. I may do a build your own with the casters I have for my bandsaw.

Jon

jim gossage
02-14-2010, 9:43 PM
Jon,
See my more detailed post on the Rockler base:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132844

Jon Canfield
02-15-2010, 8:30 PM
Thanks for posting this Jim!