PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Tile With Multimaster

Jerry Solomon
02-12-2010, 9:08 PM
I am replacing an entry door and need to trim some ceramic floor tile (already glued-down) to make it butt up against the new threshold. The existing door has a threshold that sits on top of the tile but the new door _pre-hung) has the typical aluminum threshold that sits on the slab and butts up to the tile on the inside with either a grouted or caulked joint. I was told by a flooring salesperson at the BORG that a good way to do this is using a Multimaster. I only need to cut a 36" straight line in glued-down porcelain tile. Has anybody done this with this tool? If not, what would be a better way?

Aaron Wingert
02-12-2010, 10:05 PM
The multimaster would do it, but it would take six days. Plus the blades aren't cheap and the tool is pricey unless you already own it. My choice would be an angle grinder. The ends where the grinder can't reach would be a good task for the multimaster.

Gary Click
02-12-2010, 10:44 PM
+1 on this method.

I have had to recently replace a vinyl shower pan. Not wanting to tear out the entire shower, I decided to remove the lower ring of 12" porcelin tiles and the floor. Since the tile could not be matched I needed to save the tiles.

I used a diamond blade in a 4-1/2" right angle grinder to saw out the tile grout line through the backer board and finished the ends with my mulitmaster. Cutting with the diamond blade was quick, easy and unbeliveably dusty but was quickly over.

Finishing the ends with the Multimaster was easy but took much longer than cutting the grout line although the length was very short, still it allowed me to be able to save the tiles. I also went through a handfull of carbide blades, a diamond blade would likely have been cheaper, quicker and easier but I could not find anyone stocking it.

I then had to grind the backer board, mortar bed and thinset mortar off of the back of the tiles using a 9" grinder with a DeWalt 7" diamond face wheel. This took up another Saturday and made a wheelbarrow full of dust.

gary

Jerry Solomon
02-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I have a MM but no diamond cutting blade. I also have a grinder. I have spare tiles...maybe another possibility might be to remove the tiles at the door and cut replacements of the correct size.

Joe Scharle
02-13-2010, 1:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I have a MM but no diamond cutting blade. I also have a grinder. I have spare tiles...maybe another possibility might be to remove the tiles at the door and cut replacements of the correct size.

That's what I'd do, too.