PDA

View Full Version : Sealant

Martin Boekers
02-12-2010, 8:04 PM
I just posted about a flatbed printer in Signs and Designs so if anyone is interested they can check the full post there.

The short version, I checked out a flatbed printer at a local woodcrafting show today. It printed to a large array of substrates. (no special coatings)

To seal the tiles he used Krylon engine enamel (clear) and "cured" it in a microwave for 4 minutes. It had what appeared to be a very durable finish on it.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this paint.

Thanks!

Marty

Dan Hintz
02-12-2010, 9:07 PM
Hmmm, never heard of anyone curing paint in a microwave. I'll have to think on that process some more and see if there are any downsides to it...

Rodne Gold
02-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Just stay away from these , I had one based on an epson 1290 ( a Busjet) and they are very problematic machines with all sorts of issues. A UV flatbed is the only type to consider and they arent cheap.

Viktor Voroncov
02-13-2010, 3:06 AM
Absolutely agree with Rodne :( unfortunately my experience based on few printers I have sold to customers :(

Martin Boekers
02-13-2010, 2:04 PM
Just stay away from these , I had one based on an epson 1290 ( a Busjet) and they are very problematic machines with all sorts of issues. A UV flatbed is the only type to consider and they arent cheap.

I knew that was going to be the answer. More and more flatbeds seem to be popping up. This one just didn't seem like a "production made" type of machine, More on the level of it being closer to DIY machine.

What interested me more was the use of an engine enamel spray paint as a sealer.

Consider me a bit cautious as I know the trouble you can get into lasering certain materials. I just don't like the idea of microwaving a product without knowing the damage I could be causing.

It does sound interesting, as if it holds up in an "engine type" environment.
It may be a good sealer for outdoor use.

Marty

Curt Heggemeyer
02-14-2010, 12:39 AM
One sealer we use here to seal our digital prints with is a product called Frog Juice. Very potent stuff, comes in a can for you to roll on or a spray can. Eats into the vinyl and does a good job of sealing the prints. I havent used it on tile or anything like that but it doesnt yellow being exposed to the elements. Might check that out?

Curt

Mike Null
02-14-2010, 5:19 AM
I've tried Frog Juice on name tags and it flaked off. They were plastic and FRP.

Jim Beachler
02-14-2010, 1:32 PM
Martin, I was at the same show and saw the same machines. Doing the printing all the way around the ornament was impressive.

I also was concerned about the microwave aspect of this. I was told that it speeds up the drying time of the enamel. I wondered how someone puts an engine part in the microwave to dry the lacquer.

I also agree with the above that this is NOT a production machine. I think it would be great for a hobby but not for doing any production worth talking about. For example on the ornaments, you can only do one at a time even there is room for two. Told me that it doesn't work like that. As far as the flat bed printer, it seems to be to be nothing more than a regular printer modified.

Tried to research on the maker of the machine and couldn't find any, just the vendor.

Even though the concept looks good, I think that I will pass at this time.

Viktor Voroncov
02-14-2010, 2:13 PM
Slightly off topic, but here is some applications and samples of UV printing. Really impressive and their printer work with UV LED not lamp.
http://www.sun-nsk.com/articles/new_markets_for_UV-printing/

Martin Boekers
02-14-2010, 8:18 PM
Slightly off topic, but here is some applications and samples of UV printing. Really impressive and their printer work with UV LED not lamp.
http://www.sun-nsk.com/articles/new_markets_for_UV-printing/

The problem with smaller shops is the size and affordability of a UV printer.

I haven't been able to find a smaller version say for under $15,000.
That would make it interesting to at least think about.

I'm sure as one of these companies realizes that there is a market for small format we may see one in the next couple years.

This is a quote from the website;

Taking into account the sale value you can profit while printing 100 sq.m per day only.

That's a lot of work for a little guy! Not many of us could feed it just to break even.

Some day:rolleyes:

Marty

Viktor Voroncov
02-15-2010, 4:28 AM
Agree with you, Marty! But at least some of us now have goal :)
I also do not understand why all manufacturers of UV do not make smaller version of their equipment. I think even $30 000 equipment will have good sales prospects when crisis will end.

Rodne Gold
02-15-2010, 10:45 AM
I think digital printing UV or otherwise has passed the point of phenomenal growth and ultra profitability. Even in a small country like South Africa prices on good quality solvent printing is around $1-2 per sq ft , and thats retail!!!

Martin Boekers
02-15-2010, 1:16 PM
I think digital printing UV or otherwise has passed the point of phenomenal growth and ultra profitability. Even in a small country like South Africa prices on good quality solvent printing is around $1-2 per sq ft , and thats retail!!!

I used to run a Durst Lambda about 10 years ago at a Graphics Display House.
This was a laser photographic printer that exposed to typical light sensitive stock. These were highly sophisticated machines $$$$$$. We were one of the few shops in the country that ran 2 of them. High maintinance machines.
We ran them 24 hrs a day, they were fast for their time about 20 Sq foot a minute if I recall correctly. That was for exposure, it still had to be processed through a standard photographic processor.

Rodne, you are absolutely right about running past the profitability curve.
They made quite a bit of money with them at their prime. Now there are so many options and people in the game it's really tough to do it on such a scale.

That's why I hope that the next wave will be smaller units, that I could justify and payoff rather quickly. Again they will run their curve and most in the awards industry will focus on the engraving aspect as it has stood the test of time for pursieved value.

Marty

Viktor Voroncov
02-15-2010, 1:55 PM
UV prints are more ecologically safer than solvent, and I was very impressed with 3D prints from UV printer :) but of course UV still very expensive :(