PDA

View Full Version : No. 11 - it is done!

John Keeton
02-12-2010, 6:59 PM
Here is the finished product. Ended up applying Deft brush on lacquer in satin. Really pleased with the finish - quick and easy, laid down well, and dry in an hour easy. Wasn't too sure at first as I thought it was going to be a mess. Pleasantly surprised!

The little bead at the transition line of the walnut and burl was a challenge for my aging eyesight!! Got to get a magnifier!:o
Even though I dealt with a crack in both sides of the HF, and the lid broke in half on me (through the exact same grain line!), I enjoyed this turning. The box elder turned easily, and this was my first attempt at this type of form.

There were some suggestions to blend the finial, and continue the curve of the form. I did consider that, but I kind of like the extra detail, particularly with the burl and the little bead.

Thanks for looking again, and I really do appreciate all the input I get from you guys!

I think the next piece will be claro walnut and curly maple....

Doug W Swanson
02-12-2010, 7:04 PM
Very nice, John.

I can't wait to see what you make next (and next time, just surprise us without asking for input!)

Doug

Baxter Smith
02-12-2010, 7:08 PM
Looks great John! The turning is great and I like the soft glow of the finish on the different woods!

Toney Robertson
02-12-2010, 7:18 PM
Now that is sweet.

Has a nice warm glow to it.

Toney

Gary Chester
02-12-2010, 7:20 PM
Really, really, REALLY NICE! and maybe even better than that!!! Great flow and smooth detail. Lots of stuff going on without being busy.

Is anybody else getting suspicious of this Keeton fellow???:rolleyes: Like maybe he's actually importing all this fine work???:eek: :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

David Christopher
02-12-2010, 7:22 PM
very nice John .

Ken Higginbotham
02-12-2010, 7:22 PM
Nice - How the heck do you cut the top out?

John Keeton
02-12-2010, 7:35 PM
Thanks, but you guys are laying it on pretty thick!!!:o I really have to work at this - it ain't comin' easy yet!! I think it will be a long time before I can turn out quality pieces as quickly and consistently as some of you all can. Don't forget, I had to glue up the sides of this one, and glue the lid back together!!:eek: I suspect experienced turners don't have those issues.

...and next time, just surprise us without asking for input!OK, Doug, but if I screw it up, it is on you!!:D;)

Nice - How the heck do you cut the top out?Ken, I bandsawed a slab for the lid before starting the turning, marked it for top/bottom, and made sure I didn't take any more thickness off the wrong side so the grain would flow from the lid to the form.

Ken Higginbotham
02-12-2010, 7:39 PM
Oh, I thought you may have turned then entire pc then somehow cut the top off...

Thom Sturgill
02-12-2010, 8:02 PM
John, its a beautiful job, and I too like the extra detail. As you well know, wood is wood, and will do what it will when you relieve stress by cutting away portions. This applies to turning more than flatwork, so most here have had pieces go south on them, and most turners seem to appreciate a good save!

charlie knighton
02-12-2010, 8:04 PM
very nice....

Steve Schlumpf
02-12-2010, 8:08 PM
John - exceptionally nice work! Great combination of woods! As far as the finial/burl suggestions - there is a turner by the name of Alby Hall, from New Zealand, who summed it up best 'There are so many designs that could have been applied to the finial, it comes down to excepting what you have done'.

I find what you have created works and works well! Won't be long and you will be giving lessons to all of us! Meaning.... real nice work!

Donny Lawson
02-12-2010, 8:36 PM
That's like a "Masterpiece" or something you would find in a Museum or something like that.I just hope one of these days I can make something like that.Keep up the GREAT work.
Donny

Joseph M Lary
02-12-2010, 8:50 PM
Very nice piece, I like the use of all the woods.

Wally Wenzel
02-12-2010, 8:52 PM
That is really great i can't believe how nice that reall is.
Wally

George Morris
02-12-2010, 8:57 PM
John You did a outstanding job on this piece! Very nice form and you changed disaster into a design opportunity! Well done! G

Scott Hackler
02-12-2010, 9:46 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that John is a "ringer"??? :) 11th bowl.... hmmm. lol You really have got a knack for the spinny art.

I really like this one and usually I would say the "bulb" of the finial is too fat but it works well on this form.

Nice job.

gary Zimmel
02-12-2010, 9:54 PM
Beautiful work on yet another piece John!

BILL DONAHUE
02-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Wow! That is really spectacular. Perfect finial, perfect overall shape, a 1st class piece.

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2010, 10:01 PM
John that is a exceptional and beautiful piece. Form and the finish look great.

Bill Bolen
02-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Outstanding piece John. I love everything about it...Bill..

Alan Tolchinsky
02-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Very nice John, It looks like you're liking this turning thing aren't you? How's the 46-460 running? Alan

Curt Fuller
02-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Very, very nice John!

John Keeton
02-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks guys! I really do appreciate the support. Alan, I love the Delta, and my only regret is that I have a shop full of tools that are beginning to feel like orphans. My tablesaw won't even speak to me, and my planer and jointer just scowl when I walk in the shop.:( At least the bandsaw is getting some use!!;)

I have vowed to do some flatwork come spring thaw!

Brian Effinger
02-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Spectacular! I like it a lot. Did the finial darken from just the lacquer finish, or did you do something else to it?

Thanks guys! I really do appreciate the support. Alan, I love the Delta, and my only regret is that I have a shop full of tools that are beginning to feel like orphans. My tablesaw won't even speak to me, and my planer and jointer just scowl when I walk in the shop.:( At least the bandsaw is getting some use!!;)

Don't worry John. They'll get over it! :D

I have vowed to do some flatwork come spring thaw!
Shhhh!!! Don't say that too loud. They might kick you out for saying that. ;)
I'm not sure who "they" are, but I think they are related to "the man". :p

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2010, 12:04 AM
John...I absolutely like everything about it! You have come along way Pilgrim!

Brian....do you get the same urge I do....want to snicker when he talks about his "other" tools?:D

Matt Ranum
02-13-2010, 12:19 AM
John I think you can give up that legal profession of yours pretty soon by the looks of things.;) I'm in awe of what you have done in such a short time.

BTW maybe you need some of these, I have a pair and love 'em. Of course I'm too stubborn to see an eye doctor and admit to myself I need glasses.:p That would mean I'm getting old:eek: can't have that.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020140/19525/FastCap-Magnifying-Bifocal-Safety-Glasses-15-Diopter.aspx

John Keeton
02-13-2010, 12:55 AM
Ken, I knew you and Brian would appreciate the comment on the other tools!!;) You all knew all along what would happen.:rolleyes:

Matt, I already own a pair of those!! I had RK surgery years ago, but my eyes have changed since then. While I do pretty well for distant vision, up close I really have trouble - even with bifocals. I have looked at getting one of the goose neck lighted magnifiers, but just haven't done it yet.

Brian, the walnut just has the lacquer on it - no shellac this time. And, I didn't use BLO as I didn't want to yellow or darken the whiter areas of the box elder. I really like the lacquer finish and will probably use it a lot more. It doesn't have enough gloss for some pieces, but for this one I like the look.

David E Keller
02-13-2010, 2:07 AM
Very nice finished piece. The wood combination is nice, and I like the soft finish. Excellent job.

Jeff Nicol
02-13-2010, 6:58 AM
John, You have taken to the turning world like a master! You have shown that if you want to do something do it the best you can. It has been said many times and I will say it again, you are a natural and have a good eye for form and design. It is a good addiction and you and the rest of us will never have to go to rehab to get clean. Turning is it's own therapy.

Great job,

Jeff

Brian Effinger
02-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Brian....do you get the same urge I do....want to snicker when he talks about his "other" tools?:D

Yeah, I had a big grin on my face when I read that. :D

Ken, I knew you and Brian would appreciate the comment on the other tools!!;) You all knew all along what would happen.:rolleyes:

Brian, the walnut just has the lacquer on it - no shellac this time. And, I didn't use BLO as I didn't want to yellow or darken the whiter areas of the box elder. I really like the lacquer finish and will probably use it a lot more. It doesn't have enough gloss for some pieces, but for this one I like the look.

John, did you brush the lacquer on, or did you thin it down and wipe it on with a cloth? Or neither? I am thinking of trying it on my next project, which will be made from padauk. I am hoping that the lacquer will keep the color of the wood red longer than any other finish. So far my only experience with the stuff is from spraying some ornaments.
Thanks.

Brian

Dave Carey
02-13-2010, 12:15 PM
John,
A beautiful piece. I'm interested in the technique you used to cut the opening for the top: cut straight through and then add the lip for the top to sit on? If so that through cut must be a very fine cut. With which tool? Again, fantastic piece.

John Keeton
02-13-2010, 1:09 PM
John, did you brush the lacquer on, or did you thin it down and wipe it on with a cloth? Brian, I used a brush. This was a small piece and I didn't want to mix a batch of thinned lacquer, but I was afraid the lacquer would set too quick full strength. So, I poured some lacquer thinner in a small disposable plastic dish (the Kroger deli gave me a dozen or so, and we save all the ones from various grocery items.) I lightly dipped the brush in the lacquer, and lightly dipped it in the thinner, and brushed in on. Went on very smooth, but it will run if you aren't careful. Dried very quickly, and it leveled great. It doesn't take much for a piece this size!!!

John,
A beautiful piece. I'm interested in the technique you used to cut the opening for the top: cut straight through and then add the lip for the top to sit on? If so that through cut must be a very fine cut. With which tool? Again, fantastic piece.Thanks, Dave! The cut for the opening was done with the bowl gouge just as a part of hollowing out the bowl. Since I did have to undercut the rim, I touched up the cut with the gouge after the inside was finished. Then I just did a recess cut with a square scraper. The outside surface of the bowl had not yet been finish sanded, so the scraped edge was cleaned up in the sanding process.

I used two chucks, and left the bowl chucked while I turned the lid. I took the piece of box elder that I had bandsawed from the blank, and glued a round piece of walnut to it for a tenon (grain running the same direction!) I mounted the lid by the walnut tenon, and turned the underside, including a very small recess on the inside surface that I used to chuck the lid in expansion mode to turn the outside. The walnut tenon became the walnut band under the burl.

I marked the lid with a small pencil mark for one of the numbered jaws on the chuck so I could rechuck it and it would run smooth each time. That way I was able to fit it to the recess in the bowl and the curvature by taking light passes at it.

Hope this makes sense.

Roland Martin
02-13-2010, 4:05 PM
Extremely nice work John, you ought to be some proud! That's a substantially complex piece and challenge, Congratulations on a FINE piece!

Harlan Coverdale
02-14-2010, 12:31 AM
I'll just chime in and repeat what the others have said. Great piece, and you're showing a great knack for form and composition.

BTW, if your tablesaw keeps complaining, just muffle the cries for attention by piling turning blanks on the table. Worked for mine.

Tony De Masi
02-14-2010, 6:59 AM
Wonderful job John. I really do enjoy this piece quite a bit. As I've stated before, your talents are amazing. Imaging what you could be doing if you started this ten years ago?????

Tony

Jess Wetherhold
02-14-2010, 6:49 PM
Lookin good John