PDA

View Full Version : Woodchucker on the cheap!

John Keeton
02-12-2010, 6:49 PM
Charlie Knighton suggested a product called a woodchucker mandrel from CSUSA to use on finishing the bottoms of HF in lieu of a donut chuck.
Since I have successfully put off making the donut chuck this long, I thought I would try making one of these as it looked like a simple setup.

Stopped by the hardware store and picked up a piece of 3/8" all thread, and a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter. I drilled out the threads in the 1/4" end so my sanding pad shaft would fit and could be used as the friction end. Turned a scrap piece of yellow pine from 5" to 3", and drilled a 3/8" hole in it.
The wing nut worked loose quickly, so I switched to a couple of nuts. Worked really well, though I will still make up the donut chuck - eventually!!:D

David Walser
02-12-2010, 7:01 PM
How do you adjust the distance between your yellow pine cone and the sanding pad? Hope that question makes sense.

Bill Bolen
02-12-2010, 7:01 PM
Nice job John. Been wanting to do that myself. You may have inspired me...Bill...

Baxter Smith
02-12-2010, 7:03 PM
Looks great! Would be very helpful. I have just been parting off my vases from the faceplate where they are screwed on. I will have to try making one. If I'm following this correctly, does your 1/4 inch sanding pad shaft just fit in loosely until you apply pressure from the tailstock?

John Keeton
02-12-2010, 7:26 PM
How do you adjust the distance between your yellow pine cone and the sanding pad? Hope that question makes sense.David, I put the HF on the sanding pad, pulled the tailstock up and centered it, applied a little pressure, then slid up the block and snugged it up with the nuts. Then, I cranked on a little more pressure with the tailstock. Your question made sense - hope the answer did!

If I'm following this correctly, does your 1/4 inch sanding pad shaft just fit in loosely until you apply pressure from the tailstock?Yes. The pressure of the tailstock takes up the slack. I used 120 grit on the pad.

charlie knighton
02-12-2010, 8:08 PM
that is very good, you will enjoy it and wonder why you ever did it any other way

John, 3/8 to 1/4 adapter is that the same as a #2 morse taper????????

Ray Bell
02-12-2010, 8:27 PM
So is the drilled out 1/4 adapter just used as a guide for the sanding disc shaft?

John Keeton
02-12-2010, 9:08 PM
John, 3/8 to 1/4 adapter is that the same as a #2 morse taper????????No, Charlie, that is the female/female threaded adapter on the end of the 3/8" rod, into which the sanding pad shaft fits.

So is the drilled out 1/4 adapter just used as a guide for the sanding disc shaft?Yes, Ray, and the shaft of my sanding pad measured .24, so it is a little loose. If I had a better selection of bits, I would prefer a snugger fit. But, it worked fine with no wobble or give.