PDA

View Full Version : Astro Pneumatic - Spray gun cleaner

Thomas Bennett
02-12-2010, 5:32 PM
Does anyone use one of the spray gun cleaners for solvent based finishes? There are several on the market that claim to clean a gun quickly and efficiently. Some have pumps, some do not. Specifically, the Astro Pneumatic - AP4535 is a pump-less unit selling for around $400-500. With the high price of laquer thinner, (these units claim to save thinner), one could pay for itself in time. I usually spray 3-4 times a week. The old fashioned way of immersing a dis-assembled gun in thinner in a small tank , sloshing the parts around with a variety of brushes, is getting old.
Any ideas about cleaning guns in general?

Tony Bilello
02-12-2010, 6:24 PM
...... The old fashioned way of immersing a dis-assembled gun in thinner in a small tank , sloshing the parts around with a variety of brushes, is getting old.
Any ideas about cleaning guns in general?

I start by pouring any unused lacquer back in it's can. Then fill the cup 1/2 way with re-used thinner. Shake vigorously (manual says shake gently) then turn the gun upside a few times. Turn it right side up and spray out the reused thinner until it sprays about 1/2 of it. Then dump what is left over back into re-used lacquer thinner can. Remove the cap and needle and and brush the reused thinner all around including the underside of the cup lid. Wipe it down quickly and brush with fresh new thinner. Fill cup about 1/2 way, reassemble and spray new thinner until cup is about 1/2 empty. Hang up cup and gun fully assembled with the rest of the new thinner still in it. The next time I use my gun, I pour out what is in it and it becomes "re-used" thinner. I can do this in less time than I can type it.

I spray only lacquer. I spray about 3 times a week. It takes me about 5 minutes to clean my gun. About once a month a thoroughly break my gun down for a good cleaning. That takes less tha 15 minutes. I reuse my thinner and add about a 1/2 pint of new lacquer every cleaning for final flushing. Half of that goes back into the reused lacquer can. Based on that, it would take me over 3 years to pay for the unit at $500. The unit itself will also need solvent cleaner and I havent calculated that in yet. I think that the unit just continually pumps cleaner or thinner through the gun and flushes it out while the cup gets a separate cleaning. Not sure.

Thomas Bennett
02-12-2010, 6:50 PM
..sounds like you have a good gun cleaning routine. I don't see any info on the "action" of the gun cleaners. If they still take some hand work , they would not be worth the money. I was hoping to hear they use ultra-sonic cleaning or some other magic. TB