PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else using a Meat BS for wood?

David Roberts,Fitchburg,Ma
02-12-2010, 5:15 PM
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=61298

More than a dozen years ago, I picked up a Biro meatcutting BS for $40 at an auction. It didn't have the sliding stainless steel table, so I just made a simple one that attaches with a few bolts and wingnuts. I know I can't be the only one using one, mine was built in Jan of 1939, there is a metal label inside. This one works pretty well, and there is an edge on the wheel, so no tires and balancing. Anyone else working with one?

Richard Wolf
02-12-2010, 8:33 PM
I have heard of people using meat bandsaws and they seem to work fine. One suggestion, put the blade on right, it is facing backwards. You will have to turn the blade inside out to get it in the correct direction.

Richard

Myk Rian
02-12-2010, 8:54 PM
In order to turn the blade the other way, one would also have to rearrange the guides. It may, or may not work on that saw.

David Prince
02-12-2010, 8:59 PM
And turn your 110 outlets right side up! LOL:p

Van Huskey
02-12-2010, 9:16 PM
And turn your 110 outlets right side up! LOL:p

Probably wired by someone that does a lot of commercial/industrial work, many EEs specify ground up. The NEC doesn't specifiy and either is fine, you will find 100s of reasons from logical to stupid on which way is best.

John McClanahan
02-12-2010, 10:44 PM
You have a left handed saw! :D I use a band saw at work that is made that way.

John

David Roberts,Fitchburg,Ma
02-13-2010, 9:07 AM
The Bandsaw upper wheel has an edge that the blade runs against, so thats the way it has to run. I have snapped blades, but never have had one fall off. Working from the right is something you get used to.

Richard Dragin
02-13-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm pretty sure cats are marrying dogs in that shop.

Tim Johnson
02-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Meat bandsaws are typically used from the "other side" when compared to wood bandsaws, allowing the butcher to make slices it off the larger wholesale section, which may not fit between the blade and saw support arm if approached in the typical wood cutter fashion. Meat saws also typically have sliding tables to the left that the meat rides on while being sliced. Meat saws should work just fine, they typically do not have dust collection, and have tighter enclosures to protect the motor during washdown and cleanup.

Jeff Willard
02-13-2010, 5:24 PM
One suggestion, put the blade on right, it is facing backwards. You will have to turn the blade inside out to get it in the correct direction.

Richard

The wheels don't have tires. There is a channel in the wheels for the band to ride in, and then a recess within the channel, on the outside, to accommodate the set teeth. Reversing the band would result in the teeth riding directly on a flat, cast iron wheel. Not good for the band, and the wheels prolly wouldn't care for it either.

Not hard to get used to using it "backwards". I've been doing it for 40 hrs./week for the past 30+ yrs. on Butcher Boys, Hobarts, and yes, Biros too. IIRC, the old Inca bandsaws were oriented this way.

My only real concern would be the lack of support the guide system would provide. These machines weren't made to be accurate. Just to be able to take the abuse that a bunch of hung-over, (or still drunk:eek:) ham-fisted (pun intended) meat cutters are sure to provide. And to be easily cleaned.

Jeff Willard
02-13-2010, 5:29 PM
Probably wired by someone that does a lot of commercial/industrial work, many EEs specify ground up. The NEC doesn't specifiy and either is fine, you will find 100s of reasons from logical to stupid on which way is best.

Such as-if the plug isn't fully seated, and a metallic object falls on it, the first thing it hits is the grounded prong.

Tony Bilello
02-13-2010, 5:50 PM
Such as-if the plug isn't fully seated, and a metallic object falls on it, the first thing it hits is the grounded prong.

That makes way too much sense. Thanks