PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Plywood Selection

Jeff Wright
02-12-2010, 4:07 PM
I am a bit unsure what plywood to specify for my upcoming kitchen cabinet project. I will be using 3/4 inch ply for the carcasses and I want to use pre-finished one side. I have seen A-1 grade specified, but my local suppliers do not carry that grade. The best they carry is B-1 pre-finished (one side or two sides pre-finished).

Will I regret not using the A-1 grade? Will it really make a difference? The face frames will be painted and the interior left natural. Any exposed sides of cabinets will get a raised panel decorative panel applied.

Also, how does one insure against NOT getting junk make from China? I much prefer paying more to get top quality materials that won't end up delaminating or having their shape deform once cut to size.

Note: MDF is NOT an option.

Thomas S Stockton
02-12-2010, 4:42 PM
Jeff
B-1 is more than adequate and probably a little bit of overkill. When I did a lot more cabinets than I do now I would use c-3 or shop grade which saves a bunch of money and still looks good. If your worried go through the ply you buy and pick out the best sheets for the uppers and anything behind a glass door because this is where the interiors will be most noticeable, you really don't see the inside of the lowers as much. I always bought finished on both sides one reason is that it creates a balanced panel so warping is less of an issue, another is I always used the best looking face for the interior this is usually the better graded face but not always.
The only ways I know of to makes sure that you are buying a domestic is to either look at the edge of the sheet where the grade and species are printed or ask your dealer, if your dealer can't tell you I would find another one since country of origin is pretty basic stuff.
Tom

Jeff Wright
02-12-2010, 4:53 PM
I always bought finished on both sides one reason is that it creates a balanced panel so warping is less of an issue, another is I always used the best looking face for the interior this is usually the better graded face but not always.

Thanks Tom. Your point about prefinished both sides is a good one (to help insure against warping). My local dealer charges $78 for one side finished versus $82 both sides, so not much of a price difference ($100 overall for a job taking 25 panels).

Steve Rowe
02-12-2010, 6:15 PM
The only thing you can do is ask. I did and the only pre-finished ply my dealer had was from China. I questioned the quality since I was not at the supplier 80 miles away and the salesman really couldn't say. I am pretty sure this is B-1 and it looks nice with just a few very small filled knotholes. The laminations didn't have very many voids however, they overlapped the layers of ply (see pictures). The thickness of the sheet was fairly uniform. Needless to say, I am concerned about how this will hold up over the long term.
Steve