PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion Prevention

Tom Winship
02-12-2010, 1:49 PM
My shop is non heated, non air conditioned environment. Other than applying oil, wax, or other preventatives to your hand tools, do any of you do anything else?
Tom

Izzy Camire
02-12-2010, 1:55 PM
You may want to consider Boshield T9 I found that it works great on machinery.

Ken Shepard
02-12-2010, 2:51 PM
I have an uninsulated shop and have tried just about everything to stave off rust. Boshield may be a bit better than a wipe with an oily rag, but it is not the final solution. The best thing I have done, for my planes anyway, is to put a lamp with a low wattage bulb in the cabinet where they are stored. That keeps the planes warm and dry, and makes them much less susceptible to rust, particularly in the winter.

Ken

Jeff Willard
02-12-2010, 4:47 PM
Anybody ever try one of these?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=762730

Jim Koepke
02-12-2010, 5:16 PM
Anybody ever try one of these?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=762730

There have been a few threads on them here on SMC. If you do a search for goldenrod you will find a few.

I have considered using them as I live in a very wet environment.

Have to build a tool cabinet first.

jim

Tom Winship
02-12-2010, 7:36 PM
I had thought of that. Like Jim, I would have to build a cabinet.
Tom

Frank Drew
02-13-2010, 6:34 PM
Tom

Rust can be totally depressing; in addition to the barrier oils, consider installing a dehumidifier, or at least a ceiling fan or two -- some readers here have said that air movement can help forestall rust. Hand tools can be kept in cabinets and drawers and will suffer much, much less than those kept out in the open.

Brandon Boyd
02-15-2010, 10:59 AM
If you're ever looking for silica gel packs and don't feel like paying $$$ for individual packs. Run to Wally World and grab a 8lb sack of kitty litter.... it has to be the blue crystal looking one. That is an entire sack of silica gel. The other heavy kitty litter is just clay - Make sure you get the lightweight silica stuff. This works great.

Brandon