PDA

View Full Version : Replace colors in Image

Dave Yanke
02-12-2010, 1:25 PM
I have an image that I need to put on a laptop (attached JPG & CDR). It has been converted to grayscale, I have two concerns;

1. How will the different shades effect the engraving? I am pretty sure it will react more like a photo.

2. Do I use 1-Touch, #D etc settings?

3. Assuming I am correct on #1, how do I replace the background shading in the map? (Fields, etc. not the parks.)

Thanks.

Tom Bull
02-12-2010, 2:32 PM
Seems to me you need to use PhotoGrav and do a lot of sample testing.

Dan Hintz
02-12-2010, 2:59 PM
Dave,

Since you won't get different shades on an etched laptop based upon varying power levels, you need to go with a 1-bit solution (i.e., NOT the 3D settings).

Dave Yanke
02-12-2010, 4:19 PM
Seems to me you need to use PhotoGrav and do a lot of sample testing.

I probably muddied the questions by asking too many at once. Yes, I will probably run a 1-touch test, however would prefer to get just get the "background" to white.

Dave Yanke
02-12-2010, 4:23 PM
Dave,

Since you won't get different shades on an etched laptop based upon varying power levels, you need to go with a 1-bit solution (i.e., NOT the 3D settings).

Not trying to be dense so bear with me. When I try to convert is to 1-bit in PhotoPaint, the pic is all but unusable. How would you suggest doing it?

Also, I originally figured, simplistically, that this image was essentially nothing more than a standard line drawing. This is why I figured if I could get the background to white, it would work.

As I write this, I realize it is easily done in Paint Shop Pro, while I would like to figure out how to do it in CorelDraw or Paint, maybe for me it will be a step or two more.

Dan Hintz
02-12-2010, 4:52 PM
Oh, so you want to turn the entire thing to a line drawing, no shading at all? That's simple enough... look for an option that allows you to collapse the number of colors used. The tools that use sliders to set the black/white clipping points would be the best here. Slide the white slider down until the shaded portions change to all white.

George M. Perzel
02-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi Dave;
Open the image in Photopaint or Photoshop and adjust the contrast and brightness-the better the resolution the better the results. The image posted is not very good or clear.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts