PDA

View Full Version : Need a source for Glow in the Dark sign material

Michael Hardy
02-12-2010, 12:59 PM
We have an issue where the Boys Lacrosse Team practices till late in the evening. The coach always run the practice till the last second and the players have to scramble to find gear bags when the fields lights turn off.

As a gift to the team, I like to engrave and paint fill some glow in the dark Luggage tags with each of the players numbers and names.

I need a source for glow in the dark sheet stock.

Scott Shepherd
02-12-2010, 1:06 PM
Anyone that carries Rowmark products. Johnson, JDS, etc.

Larry Bratton
02-12-2010, 1:21 PM
It's called LaserGlow by Rowmark. As Scott said, Johnson Plastics, JDS etc.

Deane Shepard
02-12-2010, 1:30 PM
Michael - Last week I did some experimenting with luminescent paint and clear cast acrylic. I had purchased some luminescent paint from Ready Set Glo - they have a paint that looks whitish in daylight and glows bright green in the dark. I masked the acrylic then engraved through the masking tape. I painted the engraved area with the luminescent paint and peeled away the mask. Since the paint looks kind of translucent white in the daylight, it just blended into the engraved area.

I did find that the paint seems to perhaps have a latex base and as such it was difficult to get a clean edge when I peeled the tape. I think next time after the paint dries, I will run a light vector cut around the edges of the engraved area to make it easy to peel the tape with a clean edge.

Just an alternative idea for you.

Deane
ULS M360

Dan Hintz
02-12-2010, 2:11 PM
Deane,

For a hidden look, paint the acrylic white first, then etch through the mask and paint with DayGlo. In the daytime, the entire tag will look white, but at night the lettering will shine through.

Michael Hunter
02-12-2010, 2:18 PM
Rowmark Laserglow is good.

There are, however, similar looking materials based on PVC, so do be careful when buying!

AL Ursich
02-12-2010, 9:16 PM
I have some of the Rowmark Glow in the Dark stuff... Even the sample sheets with a over cap in Red for rotary engraving.

Here is another cheaper option for you.... 8.5 x 11 sheets of self stick glow in the dark paper. http://www.texascraft.com/hps/home.php?cat=318

You could attach that to a substrate after you print it on a color printer OR you can use a plotter and cut out the big numbers and smaller name from the sheet and attach it to a tag of plastic or FRP. You can even apply reflective Vinyl on the tag and the plotter numbers over the vinyl.... Then Epoxy Dome over that....

Just another idea... I have a pack of the paper, just have not used it yet...

AL

Jamie Collins
03-06-2010, 11:26 PM
How bright is the Rowmark? I have seen a few glow material that could light a room it seems.:)