PDA

View Full Version : Dent repair - red oak

Shawn Christ
02-12-2010, 12:54 PM
I know this has been discussed before but I thought a few pics would be helpful. Without going into details as to the cause, this was my first attempt at repairing dents in a woodworking project. This is the top of a media credenza made out of red oak (unfinished). The dents were fairly substantial, and the fibers were cut.

I used a $10 clothes iron and a paper "shop" towel folded a couple times, wet but not dripping with water. I laid the towel over the dent and applied the top couple inches of the iron over the dent for maybe 10 seconds then would remove the iron and towel to look. I repeated this application several more times than rewetted the towel. With patience, after maybe 15 minutes of reapplications, this was the result with only light sanding. I'm pleased.

Maurice Ungaro
02-12-2010, 12:57 PM
It's amazing how steaming a dent can plump it out. Try using a terry cloth towel that is saturated and then lightly wrung out. Also, if your iron has a steam blast feature, use that too.

My brother likes to use a soldering iron for tight, difficult spots.

Stephen Edwards
02-12-2010, 1:31 PM
That's a nice trick to know. Thank you for sharing.

Lee Schierer
02-12-2010, 2:39 PM
You can also get the same result by simply placing a few drops of water directly on the dent or ding. It isn't quite as fast as the steam method, but it works. No need to get it hot. It will also work for most other woods, even if the fibers have been broken.

Don Whitten
02-12-2010, 3:04 PM
I first learned about this years ago while doing some light C&R stock repair.

Chris Kehl
02-12-2010, 3:20 PM
That is a great tip!

Michael Peet
02-12-2010, 3:53 PM
Nice! Will this work on a finished surface? I carelessly tossed a belt onto my dresser a couple years ago and put a nice dent in the top. It bugs me every time I see it.

Mike

Michael MacDonald
02-12-2010, 7:07 PM
amazing... never thought. and it won't return to the original shape when it dries out? nice to learn something.

Darnell Hagen
02-12-2010, 7:32 PM
As long as the film finish is perforated, yes, a water drop will swell out a dent. Keep your eye on it, it can go to far the other way then you'll get a swollen line where the water followed the grain. If you use heat be careful, an iron will print the surface with the weave of the cloth.

Van Huskey
02-12-2010, 7:37 PM
You can also use alcohol and actually set it on fire... have to more careful but if you don't have an iron I have seen it work.

If anyone tries this and it does NOT work look at the dent, if the fibers are cut on one of the dent sides that why, the fibers have to be intact (just pressed in) once they are severed this method won't work.