PDA

View Full Version : Radial arm on a MSUV?

Aaron Berk
02-12-2010, 2:12 AM
So any one done this yet?
I've been toting my RAS back and forth between a remodel job and my shop. The RAS is currently on a shop built base modeled after a SHOPNOTES magazine article (vol 3 issue16). It works great for the shop, but not so when I go mobile. I love having the RAS out at the job site, but I'm not to fond of lugging it around with no wheels.
I was at the BORG today trying to waste some money and looked at the MSUV and a light bulb hit me.

So you guys think it would work?

Randal Stevenson
02-12-2010, 2:27 AM
There was a member here, who had one up for sale (since I don't remember exactly, I won't venture my memory). It was a Ridgid, on an earlier MSUV. (not the style sold in stores now)

Personally, I would either think a SCMS (keep from getting a hernia, and not wack the saw out of adjustment), or as Wally Kunkel talked about in his book, mount on a trailer.

Edit, found it: Check out post #5 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=60022

Jason White
02-12-2010, 8:38 AM
You might be better off trying a mobile tablesaw stand rather than a miter box stand. Wider and beefier.

Jason

So any one done this yet?
I've been toting my RAS back and forth between a remodel job and my shop. The RAS is currently on a shop built base modeled after a SHOPNOTES magazine article (vol 3 issue16). It works great for the shop, but not so when I go mobile. I love having the RAS out at the job site, but I'm not to fond of lugging it around with no wheels.
I was at the BORG today trying to waste some money and looked at the MSUV and a light bulb hit me.

So you guys think it would work?

Richard Dragin
02-12-2010, 11:21 AM
My RAS came on a stand that had wheels on the back so when tilted they would roll. If you swung the arm 180 you could easily balance and move the saw. I don't know what it does to the alignment.

Rob Fisher
02-12-2010, 11:26 AM
I have a 12" Rigid SCMS (which is pretty big and heavy) on an MSUV and it works great. However I would think that a RAS is heavier and I would be very hesitant to put one on the MSUV as it is not nearly as solid as I would want for a RAS. That said the MSUV is great and as long as it can be set on a fairly flat surface it can be made rather stable.

Rob

Michael Prisbylla
02-12-2010, 7:13 PM
I've thought about doing this for a while now. I think you'd have to set up some sort of pivoting system so that the arm was at the bottom when moving the rig for stability and rotating the whole saw 90 degrees for use. Otherwise the cart would be much heavier on one side than the other when moving, and I think this would be a problem. I'm quite sure the older model MSUV would be strong enough to hold a smaller RAS, I can't speak to the newer model as I have no experience with it. My SCMS is currently on the MSUV, though I have a DeWalt 925 that would be great on the job site when I need to rip material, so I may just rig something up as a trial one of these days. Also Sears sold a stand that looks to me to be an exact copy of the older MSUV. I saw it for an attractive price ($100 or so, I think) at a sears outlet store.

Russ Buddle
02-12-2010, 7:56 PM
Mercedes Sport Utility Vehicle??

Joseph Tarantino
02-12-2010, 11:25 PM
i wouldn't put a RAS on an MSUV. good as my RAS is, it's on a ridgid stand with a herc-u-lift under it. and it seems to wander out of alignment all too easily when moved around the garage. one can only imagine what tilting the unit with that many alignment variables will do to its set up. if you attempt it, i hope you share your experience here. good luck.

Scott Stafford
02-14-2010, 12:06 PM
While I can only speak for my 15 year old Delta 10" RAS; I have a hard enough time keeping it in alignment when permanently mounted on a heavy stationary shop cabinet. I would think that making it mobile would only complicate the issue. Maybe I have a lemon?

Scott in Montana

jerry nazard
02-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Mercedes Sport Utility Vehicle??

Russ,

I haven't a clue, either. Or, in that same parlance: IHACE. :rolleyes:

-Jerry

Mike Heidrick
02-14-2010, 3:19 PM
Ridgid's Compund Miter Saw Stand is called the MSUV. Miter Saw Utility Vehicle.

http://www.markandleah.com/reviews/AC9944.jpg

jerry nazard
02-14-2010, 5:00 PM
"Ridgid's Compund Miter Saw Stand is called the MSUV. Miter Saw Utility Vehicle."

Aha! Thank you, Mike. This doesn't have anything to do with Toyota, does it? :rolleyes:

Mike Heidrick
02-14-2010, 6:05 PM
Well some reports have shown that the MSUV has lost a leg and only comes with one now - maybe a recall is in order.

Jim Heffner
02-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Aaron, I think that you are trying hard to set yourself up for a quick trip to the ER with some serious injuries not excluding a hernia, or some serious
back problems. I would suggest that you look into the EZ Smart system
that Dino has. Would be a lot easier to use, lighter in weight, and lot less chance of causing injury to yourself!

Aaron Berk
02-17-2010, 9:45 AM
I'll put this in the file of ideas better left for some one else:D
Back to the drawing board.
Thanks for all the input guys.